News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Smith Cadillac Collection Auction in Longview, Texas

Started by G Pennington, April 08, 2018, 04:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Pennington

No personal interest.
200+ Cadillacs, mostly 50s.  Most are parts cars; he does have a 58 Brougham that looks restorable.

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction/the-smith-cadillac-collection-auction/
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Chuck Swanson

FYI, this is today.  You can bid on some stuff online.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Mike Baillargeon #15848

The 1958 Eldorado Brougham went for $36,000......looks like somebody got a decent deal.......

http://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/catalog/?auction=2189

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Don't people know that no matter how rich the owner is, rust is still rust? Neglect is still neglect? How many wives are going to sleep tonight (alone) after saying, "You paid HOW MUCH for that?"
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on April 21, 2018, 07:50:24 PM
Don't people know that no matter how rich the owner is, rust is still rust? Neglect is still neglect? How many wives are going to sleep tonight (alone) after saying, "You paid HOW MUCH for that?"
Boy, I distinctly remember the Customs and Quarantine Officers utter those exact words when they opened up one of my containers years ago following a buying trip.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

D.Smith

I wanted to go to the auction but I didn't get my tetanus shot in time.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Probably a lot of Queen Snakes and Gully Cats lurking around as well... When I first saw what became the '41 pickup truck there was a "Queen Snake" skin resting on the rear bumper valance. I looked at the car very carefully.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

BJM

In my opinion those auctions are fun to go to.  Whether I bid or not, it's finally live action that results in a sale.  While some may see emotions get involved and raise the price, typically most folks bid with their heads so results are reflective of true market value.  Unlike - craigs list finds we see where the seller is fishing and puts a way too high price out there or silly reserve auctions on ebay.

Plus it's just fun.  I usually end up talking to folks, providing advice when I hear a question thrown out or a statement that's not right. 

Also, I find it interesting to see what pops up a few weeks or months later on CL.  I went to an auction 18 months ago where I waited to bid on a 1920 Buick touring and passed over several 60's boat convertibles that went very cheap, lots of Corvairs, and some Opel GT's at give away crusher prices. 

I did not get the Buick, and could kick myself for waiting and passing.  I have not seen ANY of those cars on CL or for sale.  They have disappeared off the radar, which may be good. 

Will these cars that are restorable in the Texas auction gets restored or will they pop up months later?

M. Bankes

There are already several of them for re-sale on e-bay....

Chuck Swanson

Yeah and a lot were saved by Browne Auto Salvage in TX :)  I believe he bought 34.   Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

BJM

That's all sad and I believe - commentary on the state of the RESTORATION hobby and old car hobby circa 2018.

R.I.P. 

Chuck Swanson

Bryan, not sure what you mean.  Hardly any were crushed and hardly any parts crushed.  The guy selling was retiring.  Many of these stories end with the vehicles going to crusher.  My chrome guy attended and he said it was a buying frenzy.  Hardly anything was going to crushers except those parts that were way beyond repair (as he said at end of auction).  Only scraps were left, so good news.  He got tons of bumper cores too, vs them being scrapped.   Also, Browne's Auto Salvage is not crushing, they sell the parts off of the cars they bought.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

BJM

Well that’s good Chuck.  Most auctions have a starting bid which is determined by the price the local crusher will pay.   

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I really thought the Eldorado Brougham was going to go for $40K plus so I laid off it and put in a really decent online bid on the 1953 Skylark.

Well I got run over on the Skylark.........it sold for $40K and the Brougham sold for $36K......coulda...woulda...shoulda stayed on the Eldorado............I wish I could have that one back again.

Mike 
Mike
Baillargeon

BJM

Mike
That happens.  I always figured the money would run out in these auctions on early cars.  So I too would wait and see interesting cars purchased.