News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1975 cadi eldo convert cv boot ?

Started by macdaddylong, September 19, 2018, 10:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdaddylong

So does anyone know if someone makes  a split rubber cv boot for the inside of my front wheels ... this would allow me to put it on without having to remove a whole lotta stuff ..
I’m pretty sure they make them for atvs
Wp
1949 Harley flathead
1967 r60 Bmw
1981 Vespa
1975 eldorado
1985 ram charger
1963 xke Jaguar

The Tassie Devil(le)

I purchased a split rubber boot for my Eldo in 2008, and I think it was from Napa

Rock Auto has one as well.   Not sure if it the inner or the outer though.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1975,eldorado,8.2l+500cid+v8,1430045,drivetrain,cv+joint+boot,2284

DORMAN 03609 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Speedi-Boot; Large End ID: 4.21" (107mm); Large End Circ.; 13.23" (336mm); Small End ID: 1.26" (32mm); Small End Circ: 3.96" (101mm); Length: 4.72" Info
Speedi-Boot

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

FWIW I never found a split boot for my Eldo that was worth the effort to open the package let alone install it. The Eldo driveline is under a great deal of stress and the boots are critical.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Based on the advice of this forum I used a NOT split boot on a 1972 Eldorado and it was really no that bad of a job.  In consideration of how long a good one will last (maybe another two or three decades of lite driving), it is worth it.  If the boot fails and you do not notice dirt will ruin everything and you will be into some major money. 

Only complication with the job was that the stainless steel bands that came with the not split boot were not good quality and I bought way better ones at a truck parts supply house - largest size they sold!

While you are there take a look at the lower control arm bushings and upper control arm bushings.  The upper ball joint should last forever, the lower not as durable - check it all out.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty