News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Wanted to buy: 1959-1962 Cadillac IGNITION SWITCH WRENCH/SOCKET

Started by Tom Hoczyk , CLC 14044, August 14, 2018, 04:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Hoczyk , CLC 14044

I'd like to purchase the correct tool to remove the ignition switch from my 1960 Cadillac.  Please refer to attached photo.  I'd like to use the correct tool unless others can suggest a GOOD suitable option that won't scratch the switch retaining ring.  Many thanks in advance!  Tom
Tom Hoczyk

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Dan LeBlanc

I just use a single piece of electrical tape over the business end of a flat screwdriver and tap with the palm of my hand.  $.0001 worth of electrical tape and never scratched anything yet versus a $60 tool.  Finesse is key using this method - don't go crazy with a BFH and you'll be fine.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I need one of these tools, or something like it, I make one.

It is surprising what one can do with a lump of steel, a drill and a couple of short lengths of drill steel.

Or a pipe and a hacksaw.   The one pictured is for the Wiper Ferrules, but the method is similar.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lexi

Dan's tip works quite well, Tom. Never had a problem myself removing them this way. I usually begin the tapping with a tiny brass hammer and gently tap the locking ring in a ccw direction (if palming doesn't loosen it). I also use a very, very tiny slot screw driver with the jeweler's hammer. Gently is the keyword to get this job done. If your switch has a lit key-way housing mounted to it, you may find it helpful to first wrap it in place with electric tape prior to re-installation. That way everything stays together nicely when putting it back together. Clay/Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

Either/or...but got to go Bruce's route and make me an antenna hold down nut removal tool. In the '56 they are sort of recessed in that oval shaped chrome bezel and not as accessible. At least with the ignition switch it is out in the open. Clay/Lexi