News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille side chrome trim molding

Started by carguyblack, February 16, 2019, 05:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

Well, it finally happened to me: my chrome guy lost a part of mine I sent him. Granted, it was small but I'm not happy. What he lost and I now need is the small chrome divider that goes on the door post between the front and rear door in the same line as the side moldings. I am posting a picture of the thing as well. It's about an inch or two. The piece I need is for the driver side. Thanks for any help.
Chuck
Modify message
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Roger Zimmermann

When I restored my '56 de Ville, the passenger side part was missing. I did one myself with brass and let chrome it. I'm sure that you will find one!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cape Cod Fleetwood

If your chrome guy lost the part, why isn't he responsible for finding another one??

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

carguyblack

Kind of good point but it could be a "he said, she said" thing and it might get ugly. He has not offered but maybe I'll broach the subject.
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

carguyblack

If not the part itself, could anyone refer me to a yard where there may be a 56 Sedan DeVille for parts?
I've exhausted those I've used in the past and haven't needed to purchase anything in quite a while to know anyone else.
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

Lexi

I know a fellow who has what I believe is a 1956 4 door sedan parts car. I think those models also use a chrome piece on the post between the doors at the side molding line. Not sure if it is the same as the SDV part, but it may very well be. Don't know why they would change it. I will send you an email. Clay/Lexi

carguyblack

Hey thanks, Clay. Unfortunately, I believe the little piece is unique to the Sedan DeVille (4 door hardtop) only. Apparently that's why I'm in trouble!
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

Lexi

I don't have good pics of that area. Found this on the net. Is it the small, squarish chrome piece in between both doors in line with the horizontal trim molding? Looks to be about 1 inch square or so. The car I am thinking of I think is this model, though it has a lot of it's parts already stripped. If you think this may work let me know. You could also try French Lake auto parts. Clay

carguyblack

Yeah, this filler piece is wider than mine is supposed to be. I'm sure it's for a Sedan Deville series 62 only.
Thanks for the reference of French Lake.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1989 Bonneville SSE

Roger Zimmermann

This outer molding is effectively specific to the Sedan de Ville. Anyway, there were about 40'000 units sold!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

Looking at more photos here. It does look wider. Schneider reports 41,732 were made, so Roger's observation is well put. Odds are in favor of you finding one. That was the top selling model that year. Desert Valley Auto Parts claim to have at least 2 1956 SDVs in stock for parts. You would have to contact them to see if the part you need is still on one of the cars. Worse case scenario is you obtain the wider one & see if it can be made to fit and look correct, (following re-chroming). That may beat having one made from scratch, if you cannot locate a replacement. I would think that one should turn up though. Clay/Lexi