News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Fixing the rear quarter courtesy light

Started by Evanez, October 09, 2018, 11:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evanez

I bought a 1979 Seville a few months ago and, although it's in good condition, I have noticed some electrical problems, particularly in interior lighting.

The courtesy light situated inside the rear quarter flashes from time to time, but does not stay on permanently when I switch it on.

It should not be too difficult to fix it, but I need to remove the panel to get access to the bulb and the wiring. This panel seems very firmly affixed to the pillar and I don't know how to remove it, I'm afraid to break something.

Can you help me on this ? I would attach a photo of the panel, but the attachment system doesn't seem to work.
Thanks

Evanez

79 Eldorado

Hi Thierry,
It's been a long time but I have removed these several times from 79 Toronados. The "E" (Eldorado/Toronado/Riv) and "K" (Seville) body are closely related. One thing I have which is helpful and seems to be readily available is the '79 E Fisher Body Service Manual (Green cover). I am assuming your Seville is the same with respect to the "Sail Trim" or Sail panel. Since the manual does not list K-Body there may even be one specific to Seville but the cars are close relatives.

At the front edge there should be 4 push style fasteners or Christmas tree style. You start there according to the manual. On the top and bottom of the panel are what they call interlocking fasteners. It says to grasp front and back and pull firmly inboard. I don't recall having trouble with these but I would be cautious with that part. See if after you release the front edge you can look up at the inside top and bottom edges. If the system allows I will post a portion of page 6-4 which shows the instructions. The preview is not showing the image I chose so not certain if it will appear.

This is actually my first post on the forum and I have my own question to ask but I wanted to try to be helpful to others before asking a question.

Scott

Cadillac Fleetwood

Before removing the sail panel trim, try the following:

The rotating chrome bezel and lens is retained to the rest of the lamp assembly by four clips made of spring steel. With a small flat-blade screwdriver, you can gently pry the bezel around the edges and remove it, for access to the bulb.

The switch contacts may be dirty or oxidized. You can spray some electrical contact cleaner on each side of the black switch knob, and work it in by operating the switch several times in each direction. Use one of those red plastic "snoots" on the spray head, and protect the surrounding upholstery areas before spraying.

-Charles
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Evanez

Hi Charles and Scott,

I'm sorry I didn't thank you for the information you gave me on the current topic. In fact, I was able to fix the problem as Charles said, and by using the 1979 Fisher Body service manual.

Thanks again.

Thierry