News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

346 Flatty Question

Started by Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225, April 12, 2020, 04:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

The 346 Flatty in my 48 Club Coupe is producing a lot of condensation through the blow by and the oil stick to the point of leaving the classic white sludge at the top of the dip stick where the condensation is escaping. The oil is fine and shows no signs of water. I did find one (middle) head bolt leaking oil. I tightened it to the recommended 70-75 ft lbs.  I also checked the other head bolts. Maybe the damage is already done..  Head gasket ?  Any thoughts ?   Thanks and Happy Easter !    Bill
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;
1948 series 62 Club Coupe / 346 L head / Rendon Blue
1954 series 62 Sport Coupe / 331 V8 / Aztec Red
1970 Deville Rag Top / 472 V8 / Nottingham Green

Previous Caddies ;

1969 Fleetwood Eldorado / 472 V8 / Wisteria
1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

harry s

Bill, What you describe could very well be a blown head gasket. I would say the next step in the diagnosis would be a compression check.  Given you are experiencing foaming at the dipstick and breather the oil would most likely be contaminated. Let us know the results of the compression test and we can go from there.     Harry 
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum