News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1953 Eldorado Biarritz on Ebay (SOLD)

Started by dinhnguyen57, May 20, 2020, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It all boils down to supply & demand. Lucky if 300 '53 Eldorado exist which is far less than the number of people with deep pockets who positively salivate at the prospect of surpassing all others in the field in every area of detail, the costs be damned. While many of us (myself included) cannot afford to indulge in that game, I can appreciate the motivation behind those who can. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

gkhashem

Quote from: wrench on May 21, 2020, 09:31:56 AM
I have nothing against an honest car with a lot of rust, but every once in a while a topic comes up about a collectible car that is a total rust bucket being restored to 100 point condition and worth a quarter million dollars.

I’m sorry, but a rusty bucket is still a rusty bucket even if you do a frame off.

If you have the hatchet that purportedly George Washington used to cut down the cherry tree but at one time the handle was replaced and then 100 years later the head was replaced, do you still have George Washington’s axe?

No. The Ship of Theseus is a logical fallacy and I see it all the time in the collector car world.

Once a machine deteriorated to that condition, no amount of costly restoration work makes it worth what a well preserved example would be.

My opinion. Harsh, I know, but that’s what I think when I see some of the valuations on some of these cars that get posted.

Yes, I see 100 point cars and I understand how some of the OCD types out there can get, but none of that changes the underlying logic that thousands of man hours and a hundred thousand dollars will not make that car any less rusty in a real sense.

So true, not harsh but reality. Some of these cars might as well be a kit car. A new replica.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

rwchatham CLC 21892

Some people prefer perfection some prefer originals , myself I appreciate them both . I know this particular car is crusty but to call it a replica when finished would be a stretch . As far as values between an original and a restored one I believe the market will dictate the value on each .
R. Waligora

76eldo

The seller is Marc Tuwiner. I’m sure the car is real. I know his place in Poolesville MD.
He has his phone number in the listing so anyone can call him to discuss.
This guy goes all over the country and finds 53’s and 59’s and lots of other rare Cadillacs.

Buying a properly restored car is probably the better way to go but this car looks like it’s all there and he’s offering extra parts too.  It should get restored by someone.

How many unrestored ones could possible be out there ?
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: chrisntam on May 21, 2020, 08:21:45 AM
Bob, what is the point of your question and statement?  It appears to be a stab at me (or you’re bragging), but the reason escapes me. The only thing I can figure is something to do with my guess of the cost of restoration or valuation. I copied Hagerty’s valuation, I wasn’t too far off for a guess. The cost of the car and restoration were taken from prior posts.

Your comment is not appreciated.

Current Values

#1 Concours$224,000
Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
#2 Excellent$146,000
#3 Good$106,000
#4 Fair$76,000
Chris,
I think you're being overly sensitive. I answered your first question. You were commenting a lot about prices vs. values. It made you sound like an expert on 53 Eldos. So, I merely asked you if you ever owned one & at the same time told you how many I've owned. Just a fact,nothing more, nothing less.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

gkhashem

Quote from: rwchatham CLC 21892 on May 21, 2020, 02:17:58 PM
Some people prefer perfection some prefer originals , myself I appreciate them both . I know this particular car is crusty but to call it a replica when finished would be a stretch . As far as values between an original and a restored one I believe the market will dictate the value on each .

Well if all the interior is replicated, what is it?  The truth is the truth. Not down grading someone efforts but it is what it is. The hatchet example above says it all. So if in the future cloning humans happens is a clone that person if i graft a piece of skin from the original on the clone? The answer is no. There is some point it is not the same car. Not sure where but this one is getting close.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

rwchatham CLC 21892

If the interior is replicated what is it ? That’s simple it’s a 53 Eldorado with a new interior ! So every car with a new interior is a clone ?
R. Waligora

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: gkhashem on May 21, 2020, 05:17:28 PM
Well if all the interior is replicated, what is it?  The truth is the truth. Not down grading someone efforts but it is what it is. The hatchet example above says it all. So if in the future cloning humans happens is a clone that person if i graft a piece of skin from the original on the clone? The answer is no. There is some point it is not the same car. Not sure where but this one is getting close.

George, are you saying that no car should be restored because the end product isn't original??

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

rwchatham CLC 21892

Quote from: gkhashem on May 21, 2020, 05:17:28 PM

So if Henry  gets old and has a hip replaced, his heart valve repaired , hair plugs installed and he has his eyes  fixed with lasik , he’s not Henry anymore ? I beg to differ .
R. Waligora

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: rwchatham CLC 21892 on May 21, 2020, 06:21:18 PM

So if Henry  gets old and has a hip replaced, his heart valve repaired , hair plugs installed and he has his eyes  fixed with lasik , he’s not Henry anymore ? I beg to differ .

LOL !!!!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

harry s

...this reminds me of a heated discussion at a show a few years ago regarding an exquisitely restored '30 V-16 that had been painted with two stage rather than lacquer paint as a deduct for authenticity.
     BTW I saw the subject '53 Eldo earlier this week. It is a real time capsule and worthy of all the love it can get.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

G Pennington

Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Gary,
I don't think so. He stopped the auction early so NO ONE knows the final price. An old trick.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

rwchatham CLC 21892

The day Marc starts selling 53 Eldos for 46 k look outside because pigs will fly ! Lol
R. Waligora