News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

SOLD 49 Fastback 4 sale N.calif SOLD

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, May 24, 2020, 10:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

35-709

Nice looking car, but ---
when someone, especially someone in the used car business, does not bother to show a good shot of the front seat upholstery, with emphasis on the driver's side, and in this case left the blanket cover on, then I have to ASSume the front seat needs to be reupholstered.  Then comes the problem of matching what is in the back. 
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jeff Maltby 4194

I knew the deceased owner and it's perfect in every aspect having viewed it prior, being 15 miles from me.

A cruise starting on Tenth Street on Sunday will honor the late Bart Bartoni, a longtime Modesto jeweler and custom car builder.

Mr. Bartoni, who died Sept. 7 at 89, was a prominent part of the cruising culture celebrated in “American Graffiti” by Modesto-born filmmaker George Lucas.

He owned Bartoni Jewelers at 919 Bartoni Lane, an alley along Tenth Street, from 1961 to 1993. The business started when downtown was still Modesto’s retail center, before Vintage Faire Mall and other rivals.

“I remember when this block would be so busy you couldn’t believe it,” Mr. Bartoni told The Modesto Bee in 1993. “ In the ‘60s and ‘70s when I had a big sale, people mobbed my store. Sometimes they lined up around the block to get in.”

Mr. Bartoni was born in Escalon on May 9, 1930, the only child of Americo and Gemma Bartoni. The family moved to Modesto when he was 14. He graduated from Modesto High School and served in the U.S. Navy.

Mr. Bartoni got hooked on cars while a child in Escalon, where the guests of wealthy neighbors arrived in Cadillacs, Duesenbergs and other fancy rides. He took part starting in 1947 in the cruises on Tenth Street, the main meeting place for young fans of the pastime.

“He fell in love with cars,” said a plaque dedicated just this week outside his former business. “Bart was very creative and sketched concept cars in the ‘40s and ‘50s.”

Mr. Bartoni was part of the legendary Gene Winfield’s custom car team. He also applied his artistic bent to jewelry, which he started designing at 18. He held several jobs on Tenth Street, including selling men’s clothing, before opening Bartoni Jewelers.

The plaque is on a building that has just been transformed into Nine3One, which provides office and other space for entrepreneurs.

Mr. Bartoni also owned a bar and restaurant called The Godfather in the mid-1970s.

GRAFFITI HONORS
Mr. Bartoni took part in the Graffiti events every June that celebrate cruising. In 2014, he served as parade grand marshal, waving from the back seat of his 1960 Cadillac El Dorado convertible. The same year, he was inducted into the Legends of the Cruise Walk of Fame at Tenth Street Place.

The plaque noted that Mr. Bartoni was still working on two cars at the time of his death â€" a 1938 Alfa Romeo and a 1940 Cadillac La Salle Club Coupe Custom.

Bart was entrenched in the Hot Rod/Custom Cars since his high school days, he was a very close friend of Gene Winfield and Rick Lehfeldt whom were all charter members of the Century Toppers CC.

As for Tom Watling, the seller, he has been advertising in Hemmings since the 80's.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

35-709

:)  Very good, Jeffo, you know the car, Mr. Watling knows the car.  Most everyone else reading his ad does not.  Can't begin to imagine why he wouldn't show the front seat driver's side, the area most subject to wear and tear --- not only not show it but keep it covered with a blanket!  The very least would be to assure potential buyers that the upholstery is perfect/excellent, whatever, under the blanket.  The only reason not to show that area (after showing a full on shot of the REAR seat) would be if there was something less than desirable to see there.

I'm not going to buy the car (although I would if my finances were right) but still have to shake my head and wonder at such an obvious misstep by an apparently experienced car seller. 
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am with Geoff, as showing anything covering any part, especially a front seat, makes one ask the obvious question.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

Jeff, thank you so much for taking the time to provide this wonderful biographical narrative. This man's car will certainly sell to a new owner who will not only cherish the car, but perhaps as importantly, the former owner's accomplishments and renown in his region.   As to the front driver's seat, if you follow the sales listings herein, that's a common ploy, so it's hard not to be skeptical--for  as someone just recently stated on this site-- "Having traveled 2-3 hundred miles to find some obvious flaw that was intentionally hidden from view..."  can seem mean spirited.  It's a beautiful example of a fastback, and with the addition of power steering and likely some other modern upgrades, a likely joy to drive and enjoy.   Gratefully, James

Jeff Maltby 4194

The blanket wasn't his, it's Pete's, and he's pickier than Bart, the seat looks like new. I appreciate the effort, but it's just been sold, Tom.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

mario

I never knew an Italian that didn't cover a couch or sofa, to keep it clean when using it . Anyone remember the clear plastic covers from the 60's.
Anyway,  cheers and congrats to the new owner.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto