News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

'95 Sedan DeVille 4.9V8; 59K; $5900, 59k miles in NJ

Started by colinlikens, May 15, 2020, 06:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinlikens

1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

James Landi

Looks to be a terrific choice, especially with the long list of maintenance items... ad states that "I have others" so may well be in the used car business, and perhaps, picked up a great, lightly used and very MUCH beloved Cadillac, and is selling at a premium price... and since there's a market for such rare birds, listing it on Craig's. Also knowingly states, "4.9 and not Northstar" to appeal to Cadillac enthusiasts.  So the "long game" on this one is that you purchase it and enjoy another ten years of relatively trouble free pleasure at an initial investment of $600 a year..   Certainly an attractive "deal."    Happy day, James

D.Smith

I like that they upgraded the radio to something that has modern technology yet still looks factory.

gkhashem

Quote from: D.Smith on May 15, 2020, 08:51:09 AM
I like that they upgraded the radio to something that has modern technology yet still looks factory.

That's radio is a negative. I can play anything on a radio of that era by tuning into a FM frequency. No need to change the radio with all the options out there today to work around that. Unless you just have an AM radio in the car. Then I still do not care missing radio a big negative to many collectors.

So I would see that and either walk away or see if the harness has been not destroyed so I could rip it out and put in the correct radio. But if you like it go for it.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

colinlikens

I have FM frequency adapters in both my '73 Eldorado and '78 Buick.  I'm not happy with them.  In my experience there's lots of interference especially in densely populated areas. 

I assume the objection to the new radio in this '95 is that it's not 100% stock.  I totally respect that.  I thought about getting entirely new USB-friendly radio units that look reasonably sympathetic to the original.  But in the end I wanted to stay 100% true to the original.  So, my tradeoff is less enjoyment of music when enjoying these cars.  Fortunately the sound of the car is its own music.

For that '95 there's no question I'd prefer the updated USB-friendly replacement that's in there.  I think the look is darn close and the value of a USB or radio jack is considerable. 

Regardless of one's preference it shouldn't be a dealbreaker, should it?  One can pretty much walk into the forest and find an original '95 GM stereo in good condition, right?
1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

rivstg1

@colinlikens.  I agree completely on all your points
1957 Sedan Deville, Tahoe Blue

James Landi

The XLR club members focus a good deal of attention to "the radio," that neither has a usb or Sony style access, and, given the total integration of EVERYTHING electrical and electronic, causes XLR owners to search out "work arounds" and alternatives to AM, FM, and Sirius ONLY.   I've been fortunate with my XLR with experimenting and finally settling on a brand of FM modulator/blue tooth cheapo device that has sufficient FM broadcast power to overcome most established FM stations, that we drive near, so that I can stream entertainment through the device.  It helps, I'm certain, that I live in Maine, and always attempt to avoid travel that takes us through major cities (that are chockablock full of FM stations) and that the XLR radio is an unusual antenna --  Happy day, James

gkhashem

Quote from: colinlikens on May 15, 2020, 05:02:28 PM
I have FM frequency adapters in both my '73 Eldorado and '78 Buick.  I'm not happy with them.  In my experience there's lots of interference especially in densely populated areas. 

I assume the objection to the new radio in this '95 is that it's not 100% stock.  I totally respect that.  I thought about getting entirely new USB-friendly radio units that look reasonably sympathetic to the original.  But in the end I wanted to stay 100% true to the original.  So, my tradeoff is less enjoyment of music when enjoying these cars.  Fortunately the sound of the car is its own music.

For that '95 there's no question I'd prefer the updated USB-friendly replacement that's in there.  I think the look is darn close and the value of a USB or radio jack is considerable. 

Regardless of one's preference it shouldn't be a dealbreaker, should it?  One can pretty much walk into the forest and find an original '95 GM stereo in good condition, right?

Sort of, let's put it this way since people like to get defensive. First of all it's your car to do with as you like. That said when you go to sell it why take many of your potential buyers off the table? If I want it original all set, if I want to cut and hack the dash and harness after I buy an original ok I can.

But if I want an original the first thought is can I put it back? Do you have the correct radio? Did you mangle the harness? The last question is a biggie. Which you cannot answer  many times unless you pull it apart.

So again you have turned off a whole group of buyers right off. So for a marginal enjoyment if at all since there are work arounds today you are decreasing value since you are decreasing buyers. Yes some buyer will like the custom radio, but easier to put one in than take it out.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

The Tassie Devil(le)

The listing of the vehicle for sale has been removed, so this posting has been locked.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon