News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1974 Deville Front license plate bracket?

Started by Chad Speer, July 19, 2020, 08:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Speer

This may belong in the Want to Buy section, so feel free to move it if that is the case.  My searches yielded no results about adding a front plate to a car that has not previously had one.  Is there a source for these brackets?  Thank you.

1974 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am not sure about the 1974, but on the 1972, there is a part of the actual bumper bar that is there to attach the number plate holder, and this should be the same for yours, as it will be there to hold the plate cover that you already have.

The plate holder then attaches to these brackets, then the number plate to the surround.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I kinda remember going through this when I first got my 73.   I remember it being a rather heavy bolt on assembly.  Making it bolt on must be one of the many changes with the impact bumpers that started in 73.   

Anyone know if the bracket for a 73 Eldo and 74 Deville were the same?   If so there is a chance I have a spare.   

Do you know for sure you need one?   Many of the states that have a front plate requirement have a date or number of years age where its no longer required.    Guess they figure an old car is gonna be rare enough it won't get lost in the crowd and they can find it again to run the rear plate.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chad Speer

Thanks for the quick replies.  I appreciate it.

I checked on the two-tag requirement.  There is an exemption In Missouri for vehicles at least 25 years old, but the requirements are a bit much.  Pretty severe mileage restrictions and you have to keep a mileage log in the car.  That would have been cool, but I’m going to put some miles on this baby!

I bought a reprint of the 1974 shop manual.  I’ll attach the parts diagram below.  Although the El Dorado and Deville bumpers are different, it looks like the brackets could be the same.  If you come across your brackets, I might be interested.

Here’s a picture of what I have.  I think I can fabricate a mount using some of the existing holes, but was hoping for an off-the-shelf solution:

1974 CDV

TJ Hopland

Ya sounds like a hassle or at least risk of getting hassled by law enforcement that don't know or understand the rules.   That's why I have regular plates on all my cars.   In my state the insurance doesn't matter what kind of plates you have so no savings there.   I know some states to get the classic insurance you have to have some sort of classic plates.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Roger Zimmermann

For 1974, all license plate brackets have the same part number for all models: 1603643. For 1975, it's the same, but with another part number: 1605359.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chad Speer

Thanks, Roger.  Now I have all the details, so I only have to find the things.   ;D
1974 CDV