News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1968 Deville Posi Trac?

Started by Rosie68, July 26, 2020, 01:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie68

A lot of aftermarket parts have come out in the last year for the 60's Cadillacs. Wondering if Posi Trac is on of those options? I'm trying to accomplish this feat without a rear end swap, or well having to heavily modify a different rear end.

1968 Sedan Deville

cadman56

Many 68 Cadillacs came from the factory with Limited Slip differentials.  They are a bolt in.  If you are luck, you might even find one out of a limo which has a better gear if you are using an OD trans.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Rosie68

What exactly should I look for part # wise? any pictures available?

savemy67

Hello Kyle,

My '67 shop manual indicates that the letter G precedes the number code for the gear ratio on the '67 limited slip differentials.  The letter number combination can be found on the front face of the carrier assembly.  This location is somewhat obscured by the pinion flange, and possibly years of road grime.  "68 may be the same.  You should be able to find the info in a '68 shop manual.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have a 1966 Controlled diff that came out of a SDV, but postage would be horrific.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I have never done a lot of research on the subject but I seem to recall that unlike most other brands and designs Cadillac didn't just 'drop in' either a standard or controlled assembly into the same housing.   Housings were different between them so you had to swap the entire axle assembly if you wanted to change your style?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Rosie68

Well I did manage to find what the seller is claiming to be a 68-69 locking diff. I do have a shop manual but its not close, I imagine it does not mention swapping out diffs between axle housings.

DeVille68

My 68 has a limited slip from the factory. Works pretty good. Had to replace the front seal and the seal of the housing.

There is a huge difference between 68-69 and 70-75. The first has a completely removable front section. So the complete differential can be removed. The latter has the more common "like chevy" style with the access cover on the rear. So it is more difficult to service because bearings and stuff remain in the axle housing. Although I think there are more parts available for the latter style.
I just know that there are absolutely no parts available for the 68-69 limited slip besides from seals and gaskets. There are no ring gears, clutches etc. The unit was build by eaton.

I would try to figure out if the later style 70-75 accepts aftermarket limited slip units.
Not sure what will be involved to swap a 70+ rear end into a 68-69 chassis...

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

fishnjim

If I were you, I'd have a conversation with a differential shop.   These guys do that for a living.   They'll know better what's available both used, interchange, and aftermarket.   Shops probably getting scarce out there right now.   
I also don't understand why your car doesn't have it?   I'd think it was pretty standard in those days for anything with HP/torque.
What problem are you trying to solve?   Modified?
"Positraction" is a "limited slip".

cadillacmike68

Someone will have to get a Wards book out to confirm, but limited slip was probably only a 10-15% installed option back then on Cadillacs.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

35-709

Yes, back then it was a rarely ordered option at our dealership even in upstate New York, but we always ordered it on our demos and family cars.  Cadillac's term for it was "Controlled Differential".

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Rosie68

Quote from: fishnjim on July 31, 2020, 09:14:35 AM
If I were you, I'd have a conversation with a differential shop.   These guys do that for a living.   They'll know better what's available both used, interchange, and aftermarket.   Shops probably getting scarce out there right now.   
I also don't understand why your car doesn't have it?   I'd think it was pretty standard in those days for anything with HP/torque.
What problem are you trying to solve?   Modified?
"Positraction" is a "limited slip".

I've got a new motor going in Heads, intake, switch pitch conversion. I don't drive it like a knucklehead but when I get on the gas one tire spinning is just not cool.