News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle Gas Tank

Started by carlhungness, August 27, 2020, 12:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

Need gas tank for my Series 50 1937 LaSalle

harvey b

Nearly impossible to find,only fit lasalle and 60 series caddy.the sending unit is another 1 year only part too,it has the fuel line and the float is all one part.Ive seen them advertised on ebay,they are not right,the larger cars have the fuel line in part of the tank,not in the sending unit?The filler neck is also part of the tank,it does not have any flex hose to hold it in place,tough to install,you need a lift to get it in in 1 piece.You might have to make your own?Ive been looking for a sending unit for the last 18 years,have never seen 1 yet >:(. Good Luck  Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I'm with Harvey, nearly impossible to find in any condition....

For my 1934 LaSalle, I went to this website and picked out the tank that looked like it would work.....try to match the ohms of the gauge and the sending unit you buy.....You got to get real creative with the installation....ie: fuel filler, fuel lines, tank straps etc.....

I went with a universal poly tank they have.....

These guys have lots of tanks, sending units and straps....The one draw back is the tanks are all smaller than stock as far as gallon capacity's.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm

Good Luck Carl !

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

carlhungness

Glad to gain the knowledge about the sending unit as I see three advertised on eBay, all saying they fit '37 LaSalle. I know I can jiggle either a poly tank or some metal one that's close into the available space, but at a total loss for the sending unit.

carlhungness

So here's the sender I find on eBay and from what is said here it is incorrect.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324223230223?ul_noapp=true

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Carl, wouldn't that sending unit be ok with your fuel gauge?

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

las39

I too replaced my tank with a Chevrolet 55/56 steel tank.
Smaller as mentioned. Mine had filling problems so had to drill hole for a vent.
Sending unit for this tank has same Ohms as the original and works perfect with 6 volt system.
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert