News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

When you don't know what to call it - self help

Started by fishnjim, November 19, 2020, 11:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

Somewhere between a thingamabob and a whutchamacallit?
This company(Au-Ve-Co) makes about all the small parts out there anymore, and if you don't find it in here, the suppliers like clips&fasteners, etc. probably don't have it.   Plus knowing what to call it, simplifies your online search to better find it.   There are other sources like this so get yourself some auto parts manufacturer catalogs.   This one is available online as well.   ~pp800   Some of the manufacturers won't sell to or answer retail questions, but will give you a "sample", if you only need one or two, so it's a jungle sometimes but persistence, plus one gets ideas how to fix things.
I was looking for an electrical nut, I dropped one and it disappeared, and the local parts stores didn't have and I found out what they call them so I'd know what to look for and order.   I knew what they were but not what they were called and I've been at this a long time, so old dogs -> new tricks.   Also , the old mind forgets stuff as you cram more info upstairs and makes it harder to recall.
Some parts were short run, as the technology and models change, and are not in production for your precious and won't find, but usually something will substitute.   And knowing it's not out there is valuable info by itself.
Get yourself a set of thread gauges and bolt measurers, come in handy and don't have to wait for someone to answer your email.

The Tassie Devil(le)

That is one handy catalogue.

Thanks for sharing it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dadscad

As Bruce stated, thank you for sharing. This is a valuable asset to identify a needed fastner or clip hardware piece.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille