News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Blown Flathead

Started by MikeGerman, December 08, 2020, 07:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGerman

Hey guys,
there is some crazy idea in my head to put a blower on one of my flatheads.
I found this guy.

Had some of you folks done it to a Caddy Flathead? Or know someone who and and to whom I could talk to?
Maybe even for a early one (~1935) or just the 1938-1948 engine?
I am thankful for ALL kind of informations.
Which parts you need?
Where to get them?
How much more power will you have?
How much gas will you need then?
How much you have to spend approx.?

Thank you guys in advance,
Mike
Mike German
CLC#29979
1936 LaSalle Series 50 Coupe
1940 LaSalle Series 50 Coupe
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe

fishnjim

Best to put his on the modified chapter site.   modifiedcadillac.org

old tech.   eg:My 2019 3.6l makes over 300 HP, from the factory.   You'll be hard pressed to do that with a blown 341.
The biggest problem you have is finding/making a manifold for the blower.   The Henry's were the most prevalent and there's guys out there that still have allegiance to modify them.   Search.   Plus finding parts to maximize use of that extra energy.
The other parts have to be able to hold together, so it's not just bolting one on.   Typically, supercharging alone will bring roughly 30% depending on the boost level the motor can withstand.   Addition pressure to the intake, results in much more pressure in the cylinder on ignition, more stress on the rings, rods, and crank, cooling system, etc.   Plus the densefied charge is harder to ignite so you have to upgrade the ignition energy.   eg:Top fuel uses two magnetos.

harry s

There was some discussion here several years ago about blown and turbocharged flathead engines. One of the posts had a video of a built engine on a dyno. I can't find the info or remember the results of the dyno but it was impressive. I also tried Google and couldn't find the info but there are pictures and video of other Cad engines.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

harry s

Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bobby B

You'll probably be into 20-30K easily. Is the WOW/ COOL factor really worth it? First, you would need someone who understands these motors, and then you need someone to take an 80 year old design, and incorporate it into modern technology. In all honesty, I could think of a million other ways to spend my money, but that's up to you. It's really not a motor that's easily modified, and I'm not knocking them because nothing sounds like a flathead or draws attention like one. A few of us here have some experience with their strengths and weaknesses. Something to consider before diving in. And if you do plunge, please keep us posted because many of us would be interested in the engineering, progress, and final outcome. Good Luck!
                                                                                  Bobbys
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

35-709

Right!  Unless you are a serious rodder with some serious mechanical talent and/or some serious money to pay someone else with serious mechanical talent (and equipment) to do the work, I would leave that one in my "it would be neat, but" compartment in my brain.
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

harry s

YES! The video satisfies my curiosity but it is super cool.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Terry Wenger

My  '40 LaSalle 5227C had a turbo charger on it when it was in California some years ago. When I bought the car in St. Louis,in 2006, the turbo was removed and the car put back to more or less original condition.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how the performance was improved although I remember hearing that it was hard on valves. It had also run on LPG at some time I believe. I still have the turbo.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S