News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

New Scammer Detected On Cad Club Forum

Started by carlhungness, January 08, 2021, 06:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

A person named Aaron Orrico contacted me about purchasing the Bulldog manifold I just listed in our Parts For Sale Forum. After a bit of back and forth Aaron said the price is OK with him and he'd be sending me a certified check 'which is easily cashed' and he would have an 'agent' picking up the part.
   I have been down this old road before on at least three occasions and one club member did send off several hundred dollars to such a person last year.
   I invested quite a lot of time in attempting to locate one scammer's true identity but wasn't successful. It is possible to catch some of these charlatans but it takes a concentrated effort with assistance of fellow club members. Thus at this point I just want to notify the membership of this character's name and a cautionary beware.

Abe Lugo

Make sure to report the username to the mods
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

The Tassie Devil(le)

Did he contact you via the CLC Message Forum?   If so, email me his particulars.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

carlhungness

Hi: I put my email and phone in the ad so he e mailed me. Here is one of his responses.
Hello,
  Thanks for the email  I appreciate it....However,I want you to know that the price is okay by me and as for picking it up that would not be a problem..I would contact an agent that will handle the pick up...So that won't be a problem....
   As for the payment i will be paying with a certified check which will be cashed easily...I want you to that i would be adding the payment for pick up to the check that would be sent to you..in which you will deduct your $750 and send the remaining balance to the agent that would be coming for the pick up at your place To send it out i will need your full name and address where the check will be sent to and probably your phone number...
  Do send the info to me asap....hope hearing from you soon,
     Regards
I wrote back to him and told him I would accept only a US Postal Money Order and that's the last I've heard from him. His stage name is Aaron Orrico and his e mail is :
rasinvttemail addresses not permitted
Our chances of catching him are slim. I've been down this road before.

The Tassie Devil(le)

This is what I got from a Search of his email address.

http://www.thecemeteryexchange.com/scamalerts.htm

Aaron Orrico JUST ADDED

425-522-2706 - Washington state number inquiring on cemetery property in Florida.   rasinvttemail addresses not permitted. Inquiries on cemetery property for sale. When Googled his phone number comes up as scammer and nuisance phone number.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

carlhungness

Good job. I sure wish we could catch one of these guys at the Wal-Mart where they go to pick up money. I've talked to the FBI about it and end result is it's up to us. It could be done with some prior planning.

cadillac ken

Sparing you all a long story it's important to know that the authorities have little or no interest in moving on these scum bags.  I set up one of these grifters (after having given in to him to prove that the crime took place) and set a meeting up at the Western Union Location where he would be and the time he would be there to "collect" his money.  Not one police officer, agent, or anyone had any interest in simply going there and slapping the cuffs on him.

So thanks, Carl.  We the people and those in this community are our only defense in these matters of scum bag con artists.

carlhungness

What a shame no one would assist you. A fellow club member, whose name I don't recall right now, did send a few hundred dollars to one of the same scammers who tried to play me. It was easy enough to set up a sting (at a Wal-Mart) to catch him when he 'collected' his money (we were going to send him one dollar) but no police interest.
  Caveat emptor.

chrisntam

The police have bigger fish to fry with a smaller and smaller budget, let alone the fact that the police force(s) is/are understaffed.  Additionally, these days and due to the aforementioned issues, the police are letting the small(er) crimes go with a ticket or warning due to lack of room in jails, covid and DAs not wanting to prosecute these types of crimes.  In Dallas, I think you can steal up to $750 worth of personal necessity type items (food, clothing) and not be prosecuted.

Welcome to our new world.   Ain't it great?

>:(

I wouldn't set up a sting on a perp, not worth it to possibly get injured or killed or someone else too.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillac ken

Quote from: chrisntam on January 09, 2021, 03:19:06 PM
The police have bigger fish to fry with a smaller and smaller budget, let alone the fact that the police force(s) is/are understaffed.  Additionally, these days and due to the aforementioned issues, the police are letting the small(er) crimes go with a ticket or warning due to lack of room in jails, covid and DAs not wanting to prosecute these types of crimes.  In Dallas, I think you can steal up to $750 worth of personal necessity type items (food, clothing) and not be prosecuted.

Welcome to our new world.   Ain't it great?

>:(

I wouldn't set up a sting on a perp, not worth it to possibly get injured or killed or someone else too.

And it begs the question; why is this?  My taxes keep going up.

BTW, I already know the answer.

chrisntam

Quote from: cadillac ken on January 10, 2021, 12:46:25 PM
And it begs the question; why is this?  My taxes keep going up.

BTW, I already know the answer.

I keep my Cadillac in the garage and locked.  We have a gated driveway with an 8' wood fence, I keep the cars in the driveway locked as well.

To answer your question, it appears municipalities want us to do a better job of protecting our own property.

and "defund the police".  and who'd want to be a LEO in this climate? 

In the locked garage the Cadillac stays.  No alarm system on it nor a "LoJack" system.  Just a good insurance policy, which also increases in price each year.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillac ken

Quote from: chrisntam on January 10, 2021, 01:39:38 PM
I keep my Cadillac in the garage and locked.  We have a gated driveway with an 8' wood fence, I keep the cars in the driveway locked as well.

To answer your question, it appears municipalities want us to do a better job of protecting our own property.

and "defund the police".  and who'd want to be a LEO in this climate? 

In the locked garage the Cadillac stays.  No alarm system on it nor a "LoJack" system.  Just a good insurance policy, which also increases in price each year. ;)

Not to get too political here, but de-funding the police does not refer to personnel or fraud units.  It refers to armaments and other unnecessary gear that is purchased (including swat tanks) that are just the things that siphon off money from programs that would indeed benefit us who want to be protected from these con men.

I don't wish to pay more taxes every year to take on the responsibility of doubling down on protecting myself or my personal property-- despite that fact that I understand that it certainly, like it or not, does fall on me to do so.

Cheers, Ken

mario

You, sir, are whistling past the graveyard if you belive that.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

Glen

The police also have the problem of people that use them (the police) to hurt someone they don't like by making false accusations.   The police can not take action against a person just on the say so of one person.  There needs to be evidence of a crime before they can begin an investigation.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

bcroe

The key alert, is they want YOU to give THEM your own CASH.  You will
find out later they sent a bad check, or put you on a monthly mailing,
or whatever. 

I keep cars parked indoors.  Bruce Roe

cadillacmike68

This was  / is the classic scam of "overpaying" the item and wanting cash back from a worthless check.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Cadman-iac

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on January 11, 2021, 07:38:48 PM
This was  / is the classic scam of "overpaying" the item and wanting cash back from a worthless check.

I'd just tell him, "sorry,  I didn't get to the bank,  but let me write you an IOU. It's as good as your check is."
See what he's got to say about that.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"