News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Lasalle gas tank

Started by KC Tom, February 21, 2023, 10:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC Tom

Trying to remove tank from 1937 Lasalle and have taken straps off but it won't drop. What else do I do to do?
Thanks for any help

Tom Beaver

It is most likely being held up by the long one-piece filler pipe which passes between the body and top of the frame rail.  You need to remove the gas cap and rubber grommet at the fender and most likely the rear wheel so that you can try and maneuver the tank and filler pipe clear of the frame rail.  If you get it out I suggest you cut a 6 to 8 inch section out of the filler pipe.  Make the cut in a straight section fairly close to the gas tank.  Get a straight section of rubber hose and two hose clamps to fill in the section of pipe you removed. This allows you to install the gas tank and filler pipe at the fender separately, then slide the rubber hose on the two sections of pipe and clamp it in place.  Saving much frustration and lots of censored words when trying to re-install it.

I thought I had a picture but I can't find it.

Tom Beaver

35-709

Be sure to use only gasoline rated hose!  I got a needed piece from NAPA when I redid a '50 Jaguar saloon.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

harvey b

You have to raise the car up on a hoist so the tank will wiggle out,the filler neck is the hard part to get around the spring,but it is able to come out in one piece.the filler neck grommet should be removed first,it is able to be pushed in after you re-install the tank,use some lubrication on the pipe,it will help.I would not cut the pipe to use a joiner hose,be careful you dont crack the seal where the pipe goes into the tank,it is a soldered joint.Be very careful of the sending unit,they are not available any where at all,i have been looking for one for 20+ years and have never seen one yet.,remove the line before you drop the tank too.The tank me just "stuck" to the trunk floor,should breal loose when you wiggle it. good luck  harveyb
Harvey Bowness