News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1950 Series 62 suspension bumper question

Started by jenna snacks, May 03, 2023, 11:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenna snacks

Hello all,

I have a question about two different suspension bumpers Steele Rubber has on their website. I want to make sure I don't buy the wrong part as shipping is so expensive these days.

https://www.steelerubber.com/front-suspension-bumper-50-0092-32
"Bumper, front suspension, lower arm" this makes sense and seems to match what I currently have on the lower arm.

https://www.steelerubber.com/front-spring-bumper-70-0172-32
"Bumpers, front spring. Lower arm" This part confuses me as I'm not sure where it goes.

Can anybody explain the difference and where the second possibly goes? The suspension and front end are original.

Thanks!,
Jenna

Warren Rauch #4286

I looked it up in very old printed Lynn Steele catalog.
  Part# 50-0092-32 fits 1950-53 Cadillac   on the rear suspension ,it mounts to the frame above the rear axle and acts as a stop so axle can't bottom on the body. It also fits the other GM makes on the front  spring a-frame.

Part # 70-0172-32 Fits only Cadillac 39-55  on the front spring a-frame.

The parts books for Cadillac picture it ,with flat top and ridges on the sides. I think the the one that fits the other makes would work,and it would be cheaper elsewhere.
Warren

Daryl Chesterman

Jenna, if you go the webpage for your Steele part #50-0092-32, and once the page comes up, the description on that page says "Bumpers, front spring. Lower arm...", but if you click on the tab that says "Matching Vehicles", just under the red "Add to Cart", it brings up a large list of vehicles that use this particular part.  Scroll down to your 1950 Series 62 and pick your body style and click on the red magnifying glass to the left of the listing.  This brings up a selection of rubber parts for that particular car.  I chose 1950 Series 62 two door hardtop and in all of the rubber parts shown I did not see the part #50-0092-32, but it did show part #70-0171-32 which looks similar in the shape of the rubber, but different in method of attachment to the car.  That same page did show part #70-0172-32, the flat-topped cone bumper as fitting this particular car.  The upshot of all of this is choose your specific car and look at the parts shown to see if they are the correct ones for your car.  Sometimes vendors give an inaccurate description.  When all is said and done, you can call Steele and talk to them about what you need and do they guarantee that the part shown is the correct one for your car and will they pay the return shipping if it is incorrect?!

Daryl Chesterman