News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Is there a best/preferred brand for a radiator drain?

Started by Andrew Trout, April 25, 2023, 02:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Trout

The radiator drain on my 1961 Cadillac won't close. It has a slow drip that become a rapid stream when the engine is running despite my best efforts to tighten/close it.

Is there a recommended brand for replacement?
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Daryl Chesterman

I don't know what your radiator currently has on it, but I put one like the following link shows, on my 1959.  This allows for putting a hose on the outlet to direct the radiator drainage into a container without making a mess.

https://hi-line.com/1-4-mpt-angle-bib-drain-style-1-drain-cock/

I can't remember if it is 1/4" or 1/8" male pipe thread—I'm thinking 1/4".  If this is the style that you would like to use, you can go to your local NAPA and ask them for part # 120 for the 1/4", or part # 150 for the 1/8".
If you are uncertain, take the old one with you so the counter person can match the thread size.

Daryl Chesterman

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Andrew Trout

Thank you!

When installing, do you put Teflon tape on the threads of the drain?
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Andrew Trout on April 26, 2023, 06:48:46 AMThank you!

When installing, do you put Teflon tape on the threads of the drain?

You can use Teflon tape or a pipe sealer, just something to help seal the threads. The Teflon tape is the cleanest and easiest to use.
 Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

fishnjim

Sounds like time for a radiator flush and new coolant, too.
At least add some corrosion inhibitor, if reusing the old. 
Most of these are coming from off shore now and always was a replaceable part, not expected to last forever.

Andrew Trout

Quote from: Daryl Chesterman on April 25, 2023, 05:01:21 PMI can't remember if it is 1/4" or 1/8" male pipe thread—I'm thinking 1/4".  If this is the style that you would like to use, you can go to your local NAPA and ask them for part # 120 for the 1/4", or part # 150 for the 1/8".
If you are uncertain, take the old one with you so the counter person can match the thread size.

Daryl Chesterman

The 1/4" drain worked. Ordering from NAPA was an unexpected adventure. I went to the large regional hub to get the part, but they don't stock it. It's carried in the even larger hub in Buffalo. Over 10,000 SF of space and they can't find room for some radiator drains.  ::)

Quote from: fishnjim on April 26, 2023, 11:07:34 AMSounds like time for a radiator flush and new coolant, too.
At least add some corrosion inhibitor, if reusing the old. 
Most of these are coming from off shore now and always was a replaceable part, not expected to last forever.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good thing to keep in mind. I run Evans Waterless coolant in my car, so there's no water in the system for corrosion. I did put in new coolant as Evans Waterless coolant is hygroscopic and it's been damp & raining the past week. I'll need to replenish my on-hand supply.

A silver lining to this is when I go to the local waste disposal to get rid of the old coolant I can dispose of some other hazardous household wastes the previous owners left behind in the garage.
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Cadman-iac

The reason why they don't stock that part anymore is because it's not been used on  newer cars with the plastic and aluminum radiators, and if it doesn't move, it doesn't get stocked. An unfortunate result of today's economy.
 You might have had better luck looking for one at an Ace Hardware store. But I'm glad you found one.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Varooom

I just picked up one without the nice little drain at AutoZone.  It's a Dorman 1/4" brass drain cock.  They look at you funny if you ask if they have a pet cock these days. 

They had them hanging on a little rack.  Amazon has them too but pricey.
Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria