News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

62’ Bendix Master Cylinder.

Started by Ruztytin, October 07, 2023, 03:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruztytin

Hello,

Has anyone here rebuilt a 62'-63' IMG_8368.jpegBendix master cylinder before?

I have a dual port 617398 master cylinder and I can't seem to remove the plunger from it.

I removed the retainer clip but it won't pull out. Am I missing something, or is it just stuck in there?

Also, is there a search feature for the forum? I wanted to search the topic but I couldn't seem to find a way of doing so.

Thanks in advance.
61' Series 75 Limousine x2
71' Coupe DeVille
68' Mercury Monterey
00' Lincoln Limousine
06' Mini R53

The Tassie Devil(le)

In most cases I have had when rebuilding any Master Cylinder is that it involves a lot of holding the unit in one hand, and not-so-carefully, bashing the case down onto a hard surface, leaving sufficient room for the plunger to "drop" out when the body suddenly stops.

These old units can have a lot of build-up inside them, making the piston hard to remove.

Some times, I have had to do some encouraging by pushing the piston back in, and banging, again and again.

A word of CAUTION.    Keep the fingers clear, and wrap the unit with a rag, so that any spurts of brake fluid cannot spray out everywhere.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ruztytin

I appreciate your response. I'm pretty sure it's just stuck but it was recently overhauled when I purchased it.

Everything looks really clean, so I started second guessing if there was another clip or method of removal I was missing.

I'm going to try the law of motion removal method that you mentioned.

Clearly the overhaul went south since I can't get pressure at the front brakes.

Appreciate the help.
71' Coupe DeVille
68' Mercury Monterey
00' Lincoln Limousine
06' Mini R53

Clewisiii

I bought a 62 bendix unit to restore and use on my 61. I want original look but I want two zone.

I am told I bought the harder to find parts for option for 62.

I don't really know what I am doing in rebuilding it. So if you come across more info you would like to share please do.
IMG_20231008_173246234.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

dadscad

My 63 came with the bendix master cylinder. I sent it to a rebuilder for a rebuild many years ago. When I got it back and installed I had a problem with the front brakes, they would gradually lock up after driving for a while. It was a confusing situation, first applications of the brakes seemed normal but after repeated use and heat build up they would quit releasing and lock up. Took a few days to discover the rebuild mistake. The technician that did the job put the residual pressure valve in backwards. It wouldn't allow fluid to return quickly to the master cylinder after brake applications. The valve is located behind the large nut where the front brake line attaches to the master cylinder. I discovered this by studying the factory shop manual section for the brakes. Studying the exploded view of the master cylinder was where I discovered the mistake. I correctly installed the valve and ran that cylinder until it started leaking fluid into the booster.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Ruztytin

Hey,

CLewisiii.  I too am installing this 62' Bendix unit on a 61'. But my 61' has a 59' firewall since it's a series 75. Regardless, I will share you need to use the 62' vacuum booster since Bendix did change the booster out between the years.

I initially tried using the 62' master cylinder on a 61' booster and it can't be done. Well, at least not without some modification.

I believe the rebuild kit is a Raybestos MK388. I'd say 90% sure, I was going to take mine apart and compare the seals in the image to be certain.

Dadscad-

Thank you for sharing this. I did remove that pressure valve and I was questioning how it was installed. The pressure in the front system is the main culprit. I'm going to start hunting for an exploded view of this master cylinder.

Appreciate the help.
71' Coupe DeVille
68' Mercury Monterey
00' Lincoln Limousine
06' Mini R53

dadscad

Attached, exploaded view from 63 shop manual. If the image is not clear, the feet of the valve face the master cylinder and spring.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Ruztytin

Dadscad-

This is great. Thank you. I was honestly contemplating ordering a shop manual for a 62' or 63' just to have one.

Thanks again.
71' Coupe DeVille
68' Mercury Monterey
00' Lincoln Limousine
06' Mini R53

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold