News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1941 60 Special Front Disk Brakes

Started by LCross, October 06, 2023, 06:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCross

Is there a supplier for a front disk brake kit for the 1941 60 special?

Abe Lugo

I have a 500 in my 41 and drums all around.  I can stop quickly great. You just have to keep them adjusted.   The issue with discs is the master cylinder placement. You be hard pressed to install a power booster in that space.  You would need to customize it or use some sort of remote booster.
There is place in Orange Ca that does custom brakes for all type of applications.  The might be able to help you out.  I think it's called ABS brakes. Will check. 
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

LaSalle5019

I have no issues driving my 1939 LaSalle in modern traffic with drum brakes. Disks don't improve stopping power. Their primarily benefit is to prevent fade which will affect stopping power after multiple applies or extended braking. I can see the benefit if you live in a very hilly area that requires multiple extended downhill stops or in driving that requires many accelerations followed by hard stops.

bcroe

I owned a 62 that stopped just fine with DRY drum brakes. 
One day after driving thru a water filled pot hole on a
ramp, someone cut me off, and those brakes spun the car
around into the median.  I do not care to have to
constantly drag the brakes in the rain to be sure they
will work, so everything here has discs in front.  And
the dual circuit master is pretty important on old cars. 
Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

Looks like Screbird is back in business and slowly building back stock.  They only deal with the wheel side of things.   Like someone else mentioned it sounds like the MC and booster can be more of a challenge.

Scarebirds thing is they sell you the brackets and spacers and tell you what else to buy which is commonly available stuff.  Many of the other conversion people sell you the consumable parts too.  They could be stock off the shelf stuff that they want you to buy from them or they could be customized parts that can only come from them and you better hope they are still in biz when you need to replace something.

Also note like most conversions drum era wheels don't work.  The conversions where you can use stock wheels are where you end up with really custom oddball stuff.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Abe Lugo

100% on making sure you can use your original wheels.  Totally forgotten about that.

Btw my 41 has a really hokey dual master set up and I went and bought the kit seen here a couple years ago but have not gotten around to doing it. 
I know there is a way so do a remote booster as my wife as a Morris minor with disc kit and some of the Morris peeps use a power servo conversion mounted in the engine bay. And the brake pedal is buried under the floorboard like 40's Cadillacs.
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG