News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1965 Eldorado XP850

Started by jwwseville60, November 08, 2023, 07:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwwseville60

I never knew about this show car before.
I like the standard wheel covers better. Some of the best.

https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/old-cars/experimental-eldorado

Lifetime CLC

James Landi

Such an interesting article... begs the question, had the top motor worked as intended, would this innovation have survived and the more refined and certainly more convenient top gone into production?  I especially enjoyed the section of the narrative where the GM executive told the design crew to work the top 2000 times! Bottom line, there's something to be said about keeping it simple.  Having recently sold my XLR, I got to the point that I'd say a silent prayer that the complicated mechanism would work-- not much fun when the grand complications create anxiety. Thanks for posting,   James

jwwseville60

Given that my 1961 Lincoln top never works no matter who works on it, and the fact that my 64 Eldo top always works fast and perfectly is a good indication that GM chose correctly!
Lifetime CLC

Barry M Wheeler #2189

John, why don't you call Lars Kneller. He just finished a detailed restoration of a similar Lincoln last year, and I know that he wouldn't stop until he had his top working perfectly. He might be able to give you some tips.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville