News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Right color for steering wheel center

Started by Cadillac1967inthenorth, August 15, 2023, 01:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac1967inthenorth

What is the correct color for the steering wheel center in a 1967 deville with covert interior? My is grey but I just learned that thats due to age. Could it be the same color as the leather on the seats?

/Gustav

Seville Life

Surely the interior in the picture is either a beige or champagne colour?

I mentioned this to another member, I've used a Ditzler/PPG set of products to re-colour these interior parts and finishing with the correct gloss/satin/matt lacquer. They were superb products.

You can correctly identify your interior trim code and description from the Body by Fisher plate under the hood and the parts book. They are what Cadillac used at the factory.
Paul Bedford

Cadillac1967inthenorth

I have the code, but there are different colors in an interior.

Should the center be the same color as the weel?

35-709

Same color as the dash top, which will also be close to the color of the wheel.
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: 35-709 on August 16, 2023, 11:09:49 AMSame color as the dash top, which will also be close to the color of the wheel.

thanks!

Julien Abrahams

I could not help but notice the location of the fuse box. In your picture it seems really low. It should slide into the bracket and then 'click' into place so that is no longer visible but sits behind the lower dash.
1951 Buick Eight special
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: Julien Abrahams on August 17, 2023, 04:55:08 AMI could not help but notice the location of the fuse box. In your picture it seems really low. It should slide into the bracket and then 'click' into place so that is no longer visible but sits behind the lower dash.

Im in a restoration process so I drop the fuses now and then to get access to cables etc behind the IP

Seville Life

Due to the different materials I think horn pads often change colour over the years.

The pad should match the wheel which in turn, typically should match the column and dash. Obviously some earlier 1960's Cadillacs have a darker dash top than the rest of the dash. Usually the wheel is the lower dash colour. There's sometimes an explanation of this in Data Books?
Paul Bedford

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Quote from: Seville Life on August 20, 2023, 12:22:08 AMDue to the different materials I think horn pads often change colour over the years.

The pad should match the wheel which in turn, typically should match the column and dash. Obviously some earlier 1960's Cadillacs have a darker dash top than the rest of the dash. Usually the wheel is the lower dash colour. There's sometimes an explanation of this in Data Books?

The data book just states "covert" for the wheel. It also states that top of instrument panel is dark covert and lower is covert.

I wonder if I could use the same color as the covert color on the leather in the middle of the front seat? Its also covert

I have tried th find pic of a covert interior with darien cloth (340) but I only found one and that weel center is also grey nowdays.

Cadillac1967inthenorth

Thanks to @Seville Life my steering wheel pad now has the right color. The color of the lower dash is the same as the leather in my 1967 covert (340) interior. When I did the seats, i recolored the leather. Now I used the same color for the center of the steering wheel. When I removed the Cadillac crest, I found the covert color under.

Pad had turned grey

traces of covert under the crest

Now its covert! Need to fix the silver stripes too.

I need some screws and that small plastic mounts to secure the pad to the wheel. Are they available?