News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Auto Transport

Started by 5 Caddies, October 13, 2020, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Caddies

I just purchased a '91 Deville on line and need to make the shipping arrangements. Not really sure who to trust and who not to. Would appreciate any advice from someone's experience. I have ruled out a few. Nexus, Door to Door, and Tiger Auto Transport appeared the best so far, but I am green at this. Thanks.

z3skybolt

PASSPORT TRANSPORT.  Top notch.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

5390john

From my personal experience....don't go cheap, go reputable, national brand.
Passport!!
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

TonyZappone #2624

Reliable has done well by many of us also.  I have used Passport, they are good too
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Big Fins

Depending on the point of pick up and delivery, some companies may not run the lanes you need.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Carfreak

I strongly suggest you DO NOT USE A BROKER!!!!

Auto Transport Brokers â€" The Middle Men of the Auto Transport Industry
What is an auto transport broker?

The answer is simply- someone you should avoid! An auto transport broker is a type of auto transport company that sells your car shipment order to their network of car carriers. Car shipping brokers do not own their own trucks and rely on these auto transport carriers to transport the cars they book. The difference in what they charged you and what they pay the carrier is their commission, so their incentive is to find the cheapest carrier to ship your car.

When doing business with an auto transport broker, you do not know what car carrier or driver they are going to broker your order too. Broker’s often ask for a deposit, due to this reason, so they know that they are going to get paid regardless of the quality of service you are given by the truck driver they broker too.

Often Broker’s use marketing tricks in order to generate these car shipment orders. We have experienced this first hand by Broker’s that use names similar to Intercity Lines, in order to capitalize on our nationwide pristine reputation in order to lure customers.

Unfortunately, often the customer and their cars suffer at the hands of these auto transport tricksters. The cars shipped by auto brokers have sub-par drivers and equipment that lack the customer service and transport skills that our drivers have. These factors often leave cars scratched, damaged, or the customer in the dark. With a broker, nothing is certain because they chose the driver you will be trusting with the safety of your car- not you.

There are a lot of horror stories about broker-arranged transport.  A couple times when we've sold one of our vehicles, the truck and/or driver that showed up to take them away has been scary.  We usually suggest Reliable since their HQ is near our home (I went to school with the owner) and strongly recommend to avoid brokers. 

One buyer-arranged broker-transport 6-car carrier looked like it had been pulled from a scrap yard in pieces and welded back together.   We had difficulty communicating with the driver due to a language barrier. Meanwhile, he loaded the car onto the carrier underneath a nasty looking, rusty Ford with a dangling tailpipe.  We commented on the potential problem but he was refusing to tie up the pipe.  And yes, our car was damaged (cracked windshield) when it arrived on the other side of the country to the new owner - no surprise - he had opened the car door into the trailer framework and chipped it right in front of us.  I had video of it happening. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

scotth3886

I've used Reliable and Horseless Carriage.  I've been happy with both. 

They don't use brokers and it's the driver who picks up your car who delivers it to your door.

TonyZappone #2624

If you begin your search for transport through a broker, you will be plagued by unknowns on the phone and internet for months forward!  Forget the brokers.  Moreover, you may very well hook up with someone with whom you will not be happy
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Jamurray

I used Intercity to get my lasalle from Reno to Connecticut. They were excellent.

asirens

The main thing that I understood that it's better to pay a bit more and don't use a cheap service, than to waste a big sum on repairing the damages.
I purchased a Å koda Octavia from San Francisco. We made a great deal and the last one was to deliver the car to me. I consider it was harder than to actually buy the car. The dealership provided me some drivers, but their work schedule was full. I didn't want to wait a month when they will be able to ship the car to me. So when I found https://shipnts.com/how-it-works/  it was such a blessing, because I was already happy that we made up a contract. Finally, when the car was shipped I didn't find any breakdowns. So I don't have any complaints to the company.

artdan

Reliable was not cheap, but they did an excellent job for me last year
Arizona state to Washington DC
The year before I used a broker by mistake with horrible consequences. The company I used claimed they were not a broker, but they ended up farming the job out to a different company.
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Continental Mark II
1960 Corvette
1956 Thunderbird (sold)
1965 Buick Riviera (sold)
1975 Datsun 280 Z (sold)

francisthepig

I just had a decent experience with Go 2 Transport.  I posted a review on Yelp about it.  They had the best price, but their communication was lacking in my mind.  This was my only time transporting a vehicle, so not sure exactly how much communication goes on, but they showed up to the seller's house two days early.  I got my car two days early too, so it worked out for me, but could be an issue for others.

No car yet, but looking

gillmichell

Shipping a car, especially when it's your first time, can be a bit nerve-wracking—I get it! It's awesome that you're doing your homework on this. I've heard some good things about A1 Auto Transport from folks who've used their services. They've got a track record of reliability, and their testimonials page at https://www.a1autotransport.com/testimonials/ might give you a clearer picture of what to expect. Always a good idea to check out experiences others have had.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Horseless Carriage, InterCity, Passport, Reliable.
Big money and no worries.
If there's a Mecum auction near where you begin or end there could be a ride there too
with Mecum Transport.
NEVER USE A BROKER
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all