News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1961 Starter

Started by dbzsjones, June 15, 2024, 05:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbzsjones

I'm looking at a rebuilt 1962 starter from another board member to use on my 1962 series 62.  This starter has a backplate that doesn't look like what I'm used to.  Does anyone know if I should be concerned about compatibility?

35-709

It may be a GM starter and will fit, but it is not a Cadillac starter.  Note the length of the starter on the right, the longer housing allows for a longer armature and field coils to give the added torque your engine needs.
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

dbzsjones

Thank you, the car is never going to Pebble Beach, so as long as it works I'm happy.

Big Fins

If you have the original starter from your car, take it to a quality shop in your area and have it rebuilt. That way you know what you have and that it's the proper one for your car. Don't waste money on guessing games and maybe's.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dbzsjones

Quote from: Big Fins on June 16, 2024, 04:28:59 AMIf you have the original starter from your car, take it to a quality shop in your area and have it rebuilt. That way you know what you have and that it's the proper one for your car. Don't waste money on guessing games and maybe's.
[/quot
Quote from: Big Fins on June 16, 2024, 04:28:59 AMIf you have the original starter from your car, take it to a quality shop in your area and have it rebuilt. That way you know what you have and that it's the proper one for your car. Don't waste money on guessing games and maybe's.

Unfortunately my original is missing and this one was unbolted from a 62, so I think it's low risk decision, but this form is such a great source of knowledge I wanted to use it to double check based on the visual differences. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

35-709

Do as you will with that starter, just don't expect a long service life --- cracked housings are not unheard of.
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

dbzsjones

Quote from: 35-709 on June 16, 2024, 05:25:04 PMDo as you will with that starter, just don't expect a long service life --- cracked housings are not unheard of.

Is there a reason that design would be prone to cracking?  It was just rebuilt.