News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Transmission synchronizers

Started by sean mooney, June 19, 2024, 06:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean mooney

I recently purchased a 1941 model 61 that won't stay in gear. (Standard transmission). I've been told it's the synchronizers that are at fault. My question is does a rebuild kit such as the one offered by Cadillac parts limited include what I need to fix this? The kit doesn't specifically say synchronizers. I've never rebuilt a trans, but I'm shure I can handle it with the right parts and some guidance.

Thanx

sean mooney

Well I accidentally posted in 46-49. My question is does a transmission rebuild kit like the one offered by Cadillac parts limited include what's needed to repair synchronizers? My 1941 keeps popping out of gear and I've been told it's the synchronizers but the kit doesn't specifically list this. I'm quite sure I can rebuild the trans with a little guidance.

Big Fins

Because you are the creator of the thread, you can go back in and edit it so that it is in the proper category.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Jay Friedman

Quote from: sean mooney on June 19, 2024, 06:53:15 AMWell I accidentally posted in 46-49. My question is does a transmission rebuild kit like the one offered by Cadillac parts limited include what's needed to repair synchronizers? My 1941 keeps popping out of gear and I've been told it's the synchronizers but the kit doesn't specifically list this. I'm quite sure I can rebuild the trans with a little guidance.

To fix your transmission I suggest you first buy a shop manual for 1941. Next I suggest you contact Northwest Transmissions in Ohio at https://www.nwtparts.com/.  They probably have the parts you might need and the last I heard this firm can repair a worn out synchronizer. 

I don't know what Cadillac Parts Limited includes in their kit. If they don't include a synchronizer and Northwest can't help, try https://nosandrestoredcadillacparts.com/ who sometimes stock them. 

1950 Oldsmobiles with manual transmissions used a modified Cadillac transmission and the '50 Olds shop manual has, in my opinion, excellent instructions for working on the Cadillac transmission, so you might want to try to find one of these.

Some years ago I wrote an article in the Self Starter with general information on the transmission which I can send you if I had your email address. I'm in the CLC directory in Georgia.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bob Schuman

In addition to the good advice from ay Friedman, I suggest a likely cause of jumping out of gear is a broken shifter shoe in the transmission. That is a nickel-size part that moves the synchronizer when shifting gears. If o ne of its "ears" is broken that can cause jumping out of gear.  replacement for it, like the synchronizer, is very had to find. If you need that part, I think I can recommend a vendor who may have new shifter shoes.
Also, if you replace the synchronizer, be sure it is correct for your transmission. The early 1950 and earlier synchro is different than the late 1950 and newer synchro. They look the same, but the angle of the cone was changed during 1950 production, and the input gear and second speed gear were changed to match the new synchro. Manual transmissions from 1941 through 1953 all look alike, so this is something to discuss with any vendor you contact for parts.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Jay Friedman

Good advice from Bob. 

I would also add that another possible reason I have heard about for jumping out of gear is misalignment between the motor, the bell housing and the transmission. 

Also, when you take the transmission apart I would advise that you not remove the shifter shafts that actuate the shifter shoes, since it is not easy to re-install them. If there is an oil leak around the shafts, o rings to act as oil seals can easily be installed to replace worn original cork seals without removing the shafts.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

sean mooney