News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1976 CdV $10,000 Thoughts?

Started by Bryan J Moran, June 24, 2024, 03:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan J Moran

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/7780390905351495

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille V8. Has automatic windows, climate control and cruise control. Located in Ames, IA

This is close to me and I am tempted.  I see the steering wheel has some fade but the drivers armrest is not all cracked up.  I like the colors, especially the white interior.
CLC 35000

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The lower roof border molding has been changed. The original molding has a stainless strip embedded between two bands of vinyl in roof color. The white leather seats are cracked and stainless steel bezels are missing from the taillights/backup lights. Would need to be inspected in person which goes without saying.

Here's the vinyl roof and moldings from a 272 mile '76 CdV sold on BaT.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Fins

It needs a little TLC, but what 50 year old car doesn't? Lot's of questions for this one. $7k cash might make it disappear. Good colors, steering wheel inlay looks nice whereas the dash is warped, lots of pitting in exposed metal, freeze framing the video around the roof shows the usual rust issues. Then you have accessory options working or not. It may be a great driver. Personal inspection on everything is a given these days.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Upper door panel pads are cracked. None of the reupholstering services correctly reproduces the "distressed grain" used in the original that I'm aware of. I'd hold out for a better one.

Bryan J Moran

OK, I'll try to hold out but - this car is 25 miles away. I offered on a car in Tennessee and then checked transport - $1700!. 

I didn't see the rust around the vinyl top.  How dare anyone ask $10,000 for one with rust issues.
CLC 35000

If it's nearby, then there's little to lose by looking. The trouble is you can never seem to buy a car sufficiently discounted for its defects.   

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

IMHO, If this car (it's not a 200 mile car) proves to be mechanically and not an underside rust bucket, and if the body is anywhere as good as it appears and it is essentially rattle proof then 10K is, in today's market for the "Last of the real Cadillacs", is a "fair"price.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

James Landi

Bryan,

thanks for posting (you always find interesting offers)... I agree with Greg--- it's certainly worthy of a close inspection on a lift, a drive, and a careful assessment of the costs to get all of the bells is whistles functioning.  The usual tell tales of use and abuse are, seemingly, missing... such as the decomposing steering wheel plastic inlay, so it's garage kept and, for the most part, out of the sun... the leather seats appear to be in very nice condition, so, a thorough inspection will provide a realistic assessment of costs involved in making it a decent driver.  If the owner is "firm" on the price and says he's factored in things like a non working a/c, the need for new tires, thorough coolant flush, and all the other wear items, then I, personally, would not be interested in discovering all of the extra costs involved to make myself happy with a C+ rather than an A-.  James

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364 on June 24, 2024, 11:34:45 PMIMHO, If this car (it's not a 200 mile car) proves to be mechanically and not an underside rust bucket, and if the body is anywhere as good as it appears and it is essentially rattle proof then 10K is, in today's market for the "Last of the real Cadillacs", is a "fair"price.
Greg Surfas

Thank you Eric and Greg. I am likely never to own a high point judge worthy car. My previous 76 CdV was a splendid car, with a few warts, which was only sold to settle a domestic situation, known as a divorce. Previous Mrs and I are fine, but I had a 93 Allante and a 76 CdV at the time, and selling was helpful in the smooth process of the legal process.  Pre COVID, barely. 

I have already made a $6,000 "offer" on the car. No response.  Likely an estate "I want to go on a cruise by gawd" seller, who may find the reality of a $10,000 asking is a bit tough for the central Iowa buying crowd.  Colors are nice on this one, as noted.   I don't follow prices too much anymore.   @Eric, I may never be a high point $20,000 buyer of a decent 70's Cadillac.  My hope is to be able to drive a "decent" car to a GN or regional or even a local event.  My previous 76 was fun. But "perhaps" less than this one, quality wise. 

The recent quote for $1700 to bring a car from Tennessee lead me to this one.  I agree after additional perusal, the upper door panels are cracked a bit but as James noted, "overall" - operative word being Overall, the white leather looks 'pretty good'.  Dash?  Not sure what is going on there, mine did not have any issues. 

Finally, I am a 74-79 fan, and have not looked much lately.  I'll pause, this "ad" just posted.  If they are offended by my $6,000 offer, I am old school and can wait. I certainly don't need a 66,000 mile 10 mpg CdV.  But, I thank all of you for your combined knowledge!  Best of the forum.   
CLC 35000

gkhashem

I say for a driver not bad for $10,000. I might have missed it but how many miles?

Other than the door panel the interior looks pretty good, driver's seat has some wear but not horrible.

I think I see some spots on the driver's side along the vinyl top that looked like a slight trace of rust starting. Slow the video down and look carefully.

Also no shot of the headliner. Also engine area looks a bit crusty I would like to see the underside to see if that is crusty too.

I say $8000-8500 might get it as long as it runs good.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Quote from: gkhashem on June 26, 2024, 08:51:47 AMI think I see some spots on the driver's side along the vinyl top that looked like a slight trace of rust starting. Slow the video down and look carefully.

I noticed that too. Very difficult to find a 74-76 without that issue. '77 and later rarely do. I have an '83 CdV parts car sitting outside 26 years and still no signs of rust there.