News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1966 Eldorado new spherical joint seals

Started by Julien Abrahams, August 10, 2024, 02:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

So, progress on the Eldorado is going slow but steady.
I need to replace most of the front suspension bushings.
I was wondering, what is the easiest/best/safest way to replace the seals of the front upper and lower spherical joints? I was planning to first place the jack underthe lower control arm, loosen the upper spherical joint first, but leave the nut on. Then loosen the lower spherical joint. Then lower the jack and remove the whole aseembly (backing plate with the steering arm).
Or is it better to do them one at a time?
Any tips/tricks are greatly appreciated.
1951 Buick Eight special
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

cadillacmike68

You have a Giant, Powerful spring in there, BE CAREFUL.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Julien Abrahams

A little update. As far as the seals, i dug two (for the lower joints) up in my own box of parts. I bought them about a year ago when I was dealing with the same problem on my own car. Then I bought two sets, ond to out on the car and one set for spare. They now come in handy.
And as for the springs, a tip. First jack up the car quite high, about a foot and a half. Then follow the shop manual and put a jack under the lower control arm. When replacing both seals (upper and lower) loosen the upper one first. After some persuasion, mine came loose. Then proceed with the lower. Disconnect the steering tie rod end from the steering arm, then proceed to loosen the spherical joint, once it breaks loose, the arm will not fly down because of the jack supporting it. Slowly lower the jack and then there is almost no more tension on the spring, so you can quite easily take it out.
1951 Buick Eight special
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett