News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Front shock absorber mounting rubbers, where to find them?

Started by Julien Abrahams, August 15, 2024, 02:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julien Abrahams

Hello all,

For the '66 Eldorado I am looking for the upper (2) and lower mounting rubbers. The shocks are still in good condition, but the rubbers are shot. Where can I find them? I have tried several vendors here in the Netherlands, but they only have complete shock absorbers (not just the rubbers).
Help is appreciated.
1951 Buick Eight special
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

The Tassie Devil(le)

I looked at Rock Auto, and they have the same.  Complete Shockers with the rubbers.

With regards the uppers, replacement rubbers can be found at any wrecking yard that has the older cars.

Looking at the bottoms, it looks like a special tool is needed to press the rubber with the sleeve attached, but at US$38.93 for 1, they might be a lot cheaper than what is available in the Netherlands.  BUT, then there is postage from USA (Air Mail)  Don't forget that when ordering from Rock Auto, most cases, the front shocks are sold separately.  Yes, I found that out the hard way.

Bruce. >:D

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=60617&cc=1320231&pt=7556&jsn=472

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadman59

Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Julien Abrahams

Thanks for the reply. Feiko, I believe the one on the Swedish site is a rubber for the top mounting. Fpr that I can also find an alternative of the same size.
The bottom ones are a bigger challenge. Rock auto appeared to have them, but besides that they are too small, they lack raised edge on both sides which I believe keeps the rubber in place. CaddyDaddy offers this ,(https://www.caddydaddy.com/cadillac-shock-bolt-bushing-set-reproduction.html) but that also does not seem correct. Becausr then all the force comes on that bolt. I think that in the original design, the bolt goes through the little pipe (that goes through the rubber). And the "pipe" is a tight fit in the lower control arm.
Finding lower and upper spherical joint seals is also a challenge....
1951 Buick Eight special
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Jay Friedman

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Julien Abrahams

Thanks, but that is not exactly what i need. If you Google Tedgum 00720177, that is shape of the rubber mount that I am looking for. Now I "only" need to find the right size... Easier said than done. I sent an e-mail to that company to see if they have anything that is close enough.
1951 Buick Eight special
1954 Cadillac series 62
1979 Opel Kadett

Classic

Gene Menne
CLC #474