News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1973 cadillac eldoradeo fuel problem

Started by 34858, September 18, 2024, 11:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi my 1973 caddy when starting it you have to keep accelerator down are it will die.
hard to start but dies??
Kenny

Big Fins

Possible problems.
Carburetor leak down in which the bowl drains out.
Fuel line drain back to the tank.
Weak fuel pump.
Clogged fuel filter.
Choke set incorrectly.
Large vacuum leak.
Incorrect base timing.

You didn't give us a whole lot to go on here.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

Are you saying it starts fairly quickly but won't stay running unless you hold the pedal down?   But after a few minutes its fine?    If so that would be a choke and fast idle issue which are related.   This has a divorced choke setup so can easily get screwed up when doing carb work because of different thickness gaskets.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

James Landi

Great diagnoses above by TJ and Big Fins... I add the following: 15 years ago, my Eldo had a similar problem with rotten and cracked flexible fuel hoses on top of the fuel tank... so you can surmise that after nearly 50 years, yours need changing. James