News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Has anyone built a "restomod" Caddy that isn't a hotrod?

Started by jwwseville60, August 12, 2024, 12:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwwseville60

There are lots of Caddy restomods.
All of them seem like high powered CADMAD-style  hotrods.

Does anyone know of some that were built to look stock but with a modern drivetrain, PS, PB, AC? I saw one 1947 sedan years ago on Hemmings that fit this bill, but are there others?

Nice car, but still a loud street rod with an ugly IDIDIT column.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeQQkT3VzoM
Lifetime CLC

Clewisiii

I would say Dan McNarry's 1962. Or Milton's 1961.

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1948 Buick Roadmaster 76S Sedanette
1959 Cadillac CDV
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Coupe
1940 Chevy Coupe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Super Panama
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1964 Cadillac SDV
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

35-709

I don't consider my '35 Cadillac resto-mod (Big Red) to be a hot rod. 
He has a rebuilt, stock '71 472 (burning regular gas), 700R4 trans, 8.8 Ford rear end with 3:73 gears.  B.R. was built as a reliable resto-mod cruiser, I don't drag race it or street race it, I don't even burn rubber with it and not sure it would at its weight.  It is all-day comfortable with 2006 Cadillac CTS seats, AC, cruise control, power windows & door locks.  It has a '72 Chevy front suspension with disc brakes front and rear and has never let me down in 40,000 miles of road trips - no trailer.  Cruise it at 70 to 80 on the interstate, more if you like. 
He has been driven from my home (and back) to Cadillac Grand Nationals in Boston, Lake George, Washington DC (with a second in class award in Washington), and St. Augustine.  B.R. has been to Indianapolis, he completed a ~2000 mile week long road trip and tour this past May to Texarkana, and has completed 2 other similar tours in Ohio and the Adirondacks.  Summer of 2025 will see him doing a weeklong organized tour of the Hudson River Valley with an approx. 2400 mile drive just to get up there and back home.
There are lots of resto-mods out there that are not "hot rods", it depends on how you build them, and a little on how you use them.
Geoff N.       
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Joe Jensen

A meet a guy at a car show nearby with a 1949 club coupe series 61 with an LS engine.  It looked stock until you open the hood.

I won't call it a hot rod but definitely has a bit more power than the stock 331.

Joe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Resto Rod, Street Rod or Hot Rod?   I would class BR as a Hot Rod, but it is up to the owner as to what he describes it.

Plus, it could also be classed as a Sleeper

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jwwseville60

Those Resto-mod Caddies above are all great.

Personally, I was thinking of a "quiet" resto-mod. An everyday use vintage Caddy serviceable by a GM dealer or good independent shop. Easy to find parts, easily fixed.

Take this 1963 SDV. It can be had for around $18-20K.

Id add an LS3 with auto. (Or the whole package lifted from an Escalade)
Or a 5.3 LS from a Chevy Tahoe, 2018-new.
Id like to keep everything mostly GM.

Modern radiator.
Wilwood disc brakes all round.
Trunk mounted AC plus front, but using modern components.
Stock wheels, rebuilt suspension. Keep it smooth and luxurious.
Single or dual quiet exhaust.

Chevy 12 bolt with LSD. Or a more modern rear axle assembly. Any suggestions?
Modern hubs and wheel bearings.
Urethane bushings.
Custom Stainless fuel tank with stock LS3 pump.

A modern wiring harness and Busman fuse box.
LED lights in the cabin & trunk to replace all bulbs.
LED headlamps. Tail lamps too.
Glovebox stereo head. Original radio left in place.
2 x batteries up front with cutoff switches.
It would look 100% stock inside and out.

What did I miss?
Lifetime CLC

Clewisiii

Unfortunately all that cut up and spliced together would not be serviceable by a dealership. You would have to go in with a laundry list of which parts came from which year and vehicle. Then note all the modifications done to make it fit.

I have a front disc brake conversion but I know it was built to fit my vehicle with stock wheels. The rotors were turned to make them fit and they never tell you what cross references for the brake pads because they don't want you piecing it together yourself.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

jwwseville60

Lifetime CLC

Big Fins

Who's going to build the car for you? Are you doing it? If so, you shouldn't let a dealer parts change anywhere near it. Keep a build sheet with all of the replacement parts and their numbers documented.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

35-709

Yeah, you need to keep a list in the car of what is what - no oddball stuff.
As noted, my '35 has a '71 472, GM 700R4, '72 Chevy Nova front suspension & disc brakes, 2000 8.8 Ford rear end with disc brakes --- all common off the shelf stuff. Not afraid to take it anywhere.
It will always bother me to see LS engines in older Cadillacs, but, de rigueur these days.   
There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".  Dave Barry.   I walk that line.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - now back home as of 9/2024
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Clewisiii on August 27, 2024, 05:58:59 PMUnfortunately all that cut up and spliced together would not be serviceable by a dealership. You would have to go in with a laundry list of which parts came from which year and vehicle. Then note all the modifications done to make it fit.   
Who in their right mind would even think of taking a car like that to any dealership to get work done.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Fins

Who in their right mind would take any car to a stealership anymore? Unless they had a Brinks truck following close behind and loaded.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

jwwseville60

An LS is an original equipment GM Caddy engine so fair is fair for a turnkey everyday Caddy Resto-mod.
No dealerships for service, yes I agree. Except for a dire emergency.
But my overall plan is a good one for at least a more reliable vintage Caddy for long trips or everyday use. A parts and modification list in the car is a good idea.
Lifetime CLC

Carfreak

Quote from: Big Fins on August 28, 2024, 04:17:43 AMWho in their right mind would take any car to a stealership anymore? Unless they had a Brinks truck following close behind and loaded.

When we thought all other options were exhausted, we took our 15 y.o. tractor to the New Holland stealership. Only after I started calling New Holland CORPORATE Dealer Tech Support 3 months into the situation did the dealer finally get what ended up being a minor issue resolved. 

Still disputing the damage the dealer caused to the body when they r&r'd the body WIRING harness (not the problem) and caused a new water leak over the windshield. They supposedly clocked 72 labor hours & broke the driver glass door.

The problem? A small section of the ENGINE wiring harness coating was rubbed off (about 1") causing the wire to short when it touched the valve cover. In all reality, the Techs should have figured this out in no more than a couple hours. Finally got the tractor back after almost 4 months; it was filthy inside and out. Service Manager lost his job since this was a pattern for him with other customers also. Labor rate? $145/hr
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

If I'm not mistaken, the term resto-mod came into being when those of us baby boomers who for one reason or other missed the chance of building and driving an actual hot rod in our youth finally had the freedom and opportunity (money)to try and recapture our youth. Back in the 50's we had no AC, power everything ANN had the skills and tools to keep our contraptions running.
It seems that driving something that sort of resembled what we saw back in High School but was closer to a modern vehicle was the goal and thus the term "Resto-mod" was born
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cadman-iac

Has anyone built a "restomod" Caddy that isn't a hotrod?

That's what I'm trying to do with my '56. It's going to look completely stock on the outside, but will have a more modern (as compared to the original) drive train. I'm using a '69 472, TH400, the rear axle assembly from a '72, and the finned brake drums all around so I can use the original wheels and hubcaps.
I modified the shifter on the column so it has the correct detents to match the TH400, replaced the steering gearbox with the one from a '72, and am working on installing a Hydro-boost unit that sits in the same location as the original brake booster/master cylinder assembly.
The interior will match the original design, and if I can afford it, I'll paint it the original colors.
I'm going to use the original air conditioning system except for the compressor, which will be an A6.
Not sure yet if I'll do single or dual exhaust.
It'll be a sleeper, looking all original, but have the heart of a newer car.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Remember,  no matter where you go, there you are.