News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Replacement AC Air Filters for 19t6 CDV w/Factory Air

Started by Bessy, September 02, 2024, 08:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bessy

Hello,
Was cleaning Bessy's rectangular aluminum EZ Clean ac filters and found them to be in poor shape.  The frames were bent and distorted, but managed to measure size:
11,375" long x 5" wide x .50" thick.
Am unsure if the correct OAL is 11.250" or 11.375"?

Also uncertain if these replacement filters are stocked or if will need to be ordered directly from Research Products?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Respectfully,
mark & Bessy
Membership # 34742

Cadman-iac

Hi Mark,
I'll try to find the filters for mine and get the measurements for you tomorrow.
I don't know if you can still buy these or not. They really are not very effective for keeping dust and dirt out of the evaporator. I think their main purpose was to keep debris like leaves and bugs out.
Mine has this aluminum mesh that reminds me of the kitchen range hood filter.
If I remember correctly, they're not very easy to remove either.
I'll get back to you tomorrow with the measurements.

Rick

Your title needs correction too. You put 19t6 instead of 1956. I almost didn't respond, but the description reminded me of mine, so I checked your previous posts to verify what year your car is.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Remember,  no matter where you go, there you are.

Bob Kielar

I had mine out a couple of weeks ago there is one screw that holds a bracket in place remove the screw and bracket and they lift right out. Mine still had the original tag on it and it said to wash them in soapy water let them dry and coat with some sort of oil. I reinstalled without the oil any ideas of what type of oil to use it must be used to trap dirt like some carb filters ?
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Bessy

Thanks Gents.
Sorry for the curve ball on my fat fingers entering Bessy's model year.
It is a 1956.

I agree that the aluminum mesh filter material is only to stop large size debris from entering blower fans & cabin.

Regarding post cleaning oiling of filters from the Cadillac shop manual:"Then apply (spray) a light coating of an SAE 30 detergent free non-odorous engine oil or RP filter coat to entire filter surface".

Thanks again for your help.
With appreciation.
mark & Bessy
Membership # 34742

Cadman-iac

Ok, the filters I have measured 11 3/8" long by 5 1/8" wide and 1/2" thick.
 That's the aluminum framework for the filter.
  Here's what mine looks like now.
Screenshot_20240903-091547_Gallery.jpg
 The aluminum filtering medium was in sad shape after all these years, so I used this to replace it with, backed up with a large mesh screen. If I remember correctly, the rods that criss-cross were original.
 I added the strip of foam to seal between the two filters, not sure if it was necessary, but figured it couldn't hurt.
Screenshot_20240903-091816_Gallery.jpg
 Bob, you're right, just one screw holds them in, right after you remove the other 16 holding the access panel in place, lol.
 I thought there was more to removing the filters than one screw.
 Cadillac was very innovative back then, who would have imagined that they invented the cabin air filter so long ago.

Hope this helps Mark.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Remember,  no matter where you go, there you are.

Bessy

Thanks Gents!
The pictures are extremely helpful.
Excellent idea for replacing the aluminum mesh filtering material.
Greatly appreciate your assistance.
mark & Bessy
Membership # 34742