News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Items to grab from parts car

Started by Rhodes, September 27, 2024, 11:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodes

There's a '67 Cadillac at my friends house that has what looks to be a complete rear-AC setup. What would the value of that thing be? He's asking somethin like 150. I would try to put it in my 4dr sedan someday but not immediately.

Do any of the underhood vacuum "servos" or actuators typically go bad often? I think they're all there but I don't wanna pay for them if those items are typically reliable.

I think the front glass might be good, are they available new?

The Tassie Devil(le)

I suppose the best question to ask, if you can store the car somewhere, is, how much do you want for the whole thing.

I personally have found that having a complete parts car is always the best source of parts for your own personal use.

As I don't have that much room, any car that I get, I strip down completely, and save everything that might be of value.   When I purchased my '72 Eldo Convertible, I purchased a rusted and crashed '71 Eldo Convertible and totally stripped it, bringing 80% of it home in the container with the '72.   I even got US$175 for the rusted-out remains. (forgot to take the trunk torsion bars, which I found I needed 15 years later.)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Rhodes

I grabbed a couple things, mainly the rear AC. The motors don't work very well so that's unfortunate.

I probably won't use the temperature control, I'd probably just have an on and off switch, so I didn't grab the temp control setup.
Would anyone know which book would have vacuum and electrical schematics for this rear AC unit out of a '67 Fleetwood Limo?
I am a bit confused as to which book covers which subjects better--the chop manual, or the Fisher body manual.

IMG_5123.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

David King (kz78hy)

was it a limo?  I've got a friend looking for a 67 driveshaft for a Deville.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Rhodes

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on September 29, 2024, 09:59:09 AMwas it a limo?  I've got a friend looking for a 67 driveshaft for a Deville.
Limousine. It is ever so slightly longer than a Sedan, and the rear window roofline area is different, rear window is different.

The car has a 2-piece but is bent up, probably lifted by a forklift at some point.

Highwayman68

1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Rhodes

Quote from: Highwayman68 on September 29, 2024, 05:41:59 PMThat is an engineering work of art.
Honestly not sure if you are sarcastic or not  ;D

However I felt the same way, it seems very well made; and It is actually a Cadillac product, so it was a factory piece. I really hope it is in working condition, I just need it to cool, no heat needed and I don't need "climate control"; just on/off will do fine.

It even has a cute little paper tag for Quality Control testing dated 9-27-66.
IMG_5116.jpg

bcroe

Grab that 67 switch pitch transmission, if you
do not want it, it will sell on Evil bay, etc
Bruce Roe

Highwayman68

Oh I was being serious, especially for the times. I will be looking for a rear unit for my 68 Fleetwood because here in Florida the AC is used year round and the car is just too large inside for the front unit to keep the back as cool.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Carfreak

Not sure about 1967 but 1968 had a diecast hood trim molding that was very often cracked. Suggest to grab that piece if it is in good condition.

Other parts to consider:

fender spears plus other stainless, diecast & chrome trim
bumpers if not rusted through
exhaust manifolds
carburetor
timing cover
fenders / hood if not rusted or damaged
power antenna if not damaged
power trunk if equipped
power window switches especially driver door
power seat assembly
backing plate on 67 speedos are often in poor condition - grab this if it is nice
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Rhodes

Quote from: bcroe on September 30, 2024, 08:26:10 AMGrab that 67 switch pitch transmission, if you
do not want it, it will sell on Evil bay, etc
Bruce Roe
May I ask what price you think a core SP trans would sell for? If mine in my car doesn't get used, it may be sold eventually. But I would consider it a "core" since I haven't ran it and it technically hasn't ran in at least 40 years. Looks clean-ish and nice-ish.

Quote from: Carfreak on October 01, 2024, 12:31:19 PMNot sure about 1967 but 1968 had a diecast hood trim molding that was very often cracked. Suggest to grab that piece if it is in good condition.

Other parts to consider:

fender spears plus other stainless, diecast & chrome trimI got drivers, passenger broken.
bumpers if not rusted throughthey were rusted through worse than my own...
exhaust manifoldsdangit...
carburetoralready picked
timing cover already picked
fenders / hood if not rusted or damagedpassenger fender crushed, drivers rusted; hood is one of the worst I've seen.
power antenna if not damageddangit, I knew they were worth somethin. It looked complete and there, not bent, but the antenna was raised.
power trunk if equippedhow can I identify if a trunk has this or not?
power window switches especially driver dooralready picked
power seat assemblydangit...
backing plate on 67 speedos are often in poor condition - grab this if it is niceentire dash is gone, temp control, switches, gauges...all gone

I regret not grabbing the antenna, the power seat stuff and manifolds. Trans is a lot of trouble and expensive.