News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

On my 1954, the exterior door handle cylinder shaft is worn so inoperable

Started by hearn, October 01, 2024, 07:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hearn

I would like to find the shaft NOS or reproduction.  The shaft I refer to is pictured and the bottom of
page 3-16 in the manual for 1954.  Does anyone know of a supplier that has them?  I have looked but have not found such a supplier yet.
Also, I have considered building up the worn one I have on the tip.  I assume the piece is made of pot metal and I have found soldering alloy that is compatible to pot metal.  If I did this, it would be great to have the exact length of a new one or at least an operable one so I could get the best length without a lot of trial and error.
I welcome any thoughts of this.
Thanks, Jim

Cadman-iac

Jim,

Unfortunately I don't have a 54 shop manual to look at to know what you are looking at. But I think you are referring to the thin shaft that pushes against the latch mechanism that is attached to the push button on the handle, is that a fair assessment?

Also, which model do you have, 2 door, 4 door, convertible?

Finally, I have not seen this part offered by any company.

If you are going to attempt to repair yours, if the opposite side door functions, then I would suggest that you take a look at it for the dimensions you need to restore the non-functional one.

Your other option is to find a good used one from a parts car.

Good luck on your repair, I hope this is helpful.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Remember,  no matter where you go, there you are.

hearn

Yes, it is "the thin shaft that pushes against the latch mechanism."  My car is a 2 door CdV but I believe it is the same part for all of the push button handles for 1954 and probably a few other years as well.
Yes, I could use the part from the other door, but I was trying to avoid too much handle removal for the sake of the paint.
Currently I don't have access to a parts car, but I would be happy to buy the complete door handle assembly from someone that had a parts car or that spare part.

Warren Rauch #4286

I don't have a 1954 parts book,but newer books say it isn't a simple part.  group 31.2423
 Part number 700 3040 is the cut to length replacement part. If you don't know how long,it won't help to find  a NOS. Used is your best guess,what will work.

Warren

Cadman-iac

Quote from: hearn on Yesterday at 12:32:50 AMYes, it is "the thin shaft that pushes against the latch mechanism."  My car is a 2 door CdV but I believe it is the same part for all of the push button handles for 1954 and probably a few other years as well.
Yes, I could use the part from the other door, but I was trying to avoid too much handle removal for the sake of the paint.
Currently I don't have access to a parts car, but I would be happy to buy the complete door handle assembly from someone that had a parts car or that spare part.

Ok, mine is still in boxes, so I'll have a look and get some pictures and measurements for you and post it here.

Mine is a 56 CDV, but as far as I know it's the same from 54-56. The 4 door sedan door handles are mounted slightly lower on the door if memory serves, and the rod is a different length. I can verify that when I look through my parts.

The 4 door hardtop handles and latches are also different, but this model didn't come out until 56 anyway.

Give me a few hours and I'll have some information for you.

Rick
CLC# 32373

hearn

Yes Warren, the parts book does show:

31.2423 Shaft, Door Lock Cylinder And Push Button

1950 thru 1953................)
1954, 1955, 1956 exc. 6239DX..)   700 3040

1954 thru 1956 Sedans exc. 6239 DX (is another part number)

So, it looks like hardtops (like I have) are a different part number than sedans.

hearn

To sum up, this would say that all hardtops and convertibles from 1950 to 1955 (and most 1956 hardtops) use the same shaft, but sedans use a different shaft.

Cadman-iac

Alright, I took pictures of the 3 different models od outside handles that I have, the 56 Coupe, the 55 sedan, and the 56 4 door hardtop. There is a difference between all three.
 The one you want to know about is the Coupe, these measure 1 1/2" from the end of the handle housing to the end of the rod. I measured both doors on mine just to be sure that the drivers side wasn't worn. The passenger side was actually a 1/16th of an inch shorter, which makes me think I swapped them when I was refurbishing them.

Screenshot_20241002-110404_Gallery.jpgThis is the driver side from my 56 Coupe.

Screenshot_20241002-110443_Gallery.jpg
The passenger side, 56 Coupe.

Screenshot_20241002-110525_Gallery.jpg
 Driver's side, 56 4dr hardtop.

Screenshot_20241002-111021_Gallery.jpg
Drivers side 55 sedan.

Screenshot_20241002-111055_Gallery.jpg
 This is out of the passenger side 55 sedan handle. I took this one just to show what the other end of the rod looks like. These were also steel, not pot metal, so maybe they changed it for 55 and up?
CLC# 32373

hearn

Thanks.  Your photos and measurements are very helpful.

Cadman-iac

No problem, glad to help.

Just so you know if you need a handle at a later date, the 56 4 door hardtop has a completely different design of latch assembly, and the outside handles are different as well to accommodate the new latch.
 It's the 4 door hardtop that has the handles mounted slightly lower on the door shell. They also have a groove on the back to clear the chrome trim at the top of the door.

The sedans at least through 56 use the same design of latch as the coupes and convertibles.

I'm not positive but I believe starting with the 57 models that the door latches and strikers were all the same design as what they used on the 56 4 door hardtop.

Instead of a bar that raises with a roller on the end that contacts the striker, the new for 56 4 door hardtop latch used a rotating star, or gear that engaged a toothed striker, instead of the slotted strikers from previous years.
 The new design was much better and safer, and didn't tend to wear as badly as the earlier design did.

Rick
CLC# 32373

hearn

Rick, you said that the shaft was steel instead of pot metal.  Since it is a wear piece, that is understandable, but just to be sure, it is magnetic?  Jim

Cadman-iac

Quote from: hearn on Yesterday at 04:15:17 PMRick, you said that the shaft was steel instead of pot metal.  Since it is a wear piece, that is understandable, but just to be sure, it is magnetic?  Jim

Hi Jim,

Mine are, in fact if you look closely at the 55 handle and the shaft/rod, you can see the rust on the surface of them.
I can't speak to what yours are made of, I haven't had any experience with the 54 models.
Is yours magnetic?

Another thing with these particular design shafts, they are also used to rotate the locking mechanism in the latch. When you turn the key in the pushbutton, the shaft turns with it engaging and disengaging the lock part of the latch.
 I would think that if it was made of pot metal it would twist in half if there were any binding in the lock portion.

Rick
CLC# 32373