News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

If this Eldo has 6700 miles on it, then why..........

Started by Kevin Bielinski, April 06, 2005, 11:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIM CLC # 15000

04-06-05
Kevin, the owner just wants to avoid a law-suit LOL.
Did you notice that the "numbers" on the trip-odmeter do NOT line-up? A dead give-away.

Chris Arneson

If anybody is interested this car is only a couple miles from my house.  

Chris

Matt Harwood

Sitting still is the worst thing you can do to a car. If you love your car, exercise it.

Low mile cars like this are great finds for authenticity purposes, but they often need extensive work before they are road worthy. Gaskets, seals, hoses, belts, etc. all deteriorate with age, and this process is often accelerated by inactivity. Brakes in particular are vulnerable because the fluid tends to absorb moisture from the air and rust the system from the inside out. Im not at all surprised this car needed a brake overhaul and a new radiator after sitting around. Im guessing that it also needs tires. Worst case, it probably also has a leaky transmission and valve cover gaskets, a rusty exhaust system and the CV joint boots are cracking.

Dont punish your car--drive it!
--
Matt Harwood
Cleveland, OH
My 1941 Buick Restoration:
http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/index.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/index.html

Jim

A probably reason the numbers dont line up is someone may have messed with the odometer and ripped the white plastic retaining tab.  

I bought a car from a dealership many years ago with a huge fingerprint very visible on the face of the speedometer.  It was a limited edition and I purchased it based on the assumption that the mileage wasnt accurate.  But of course, they werent representing it to only have 6,700 miles.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

The interior sure seems to validate the mileage. It looks like no one has ever sat in it and that it has been kept covered or in a dark building.

Tommy D

are the miles real?

Chris Arneson

I guess this question implies your interested in the car...

I e-mailed the seller requesting the opportunity to look at the car.  Ill post the results.

On a side note, this weekend I ran accross a 78 Biarritz tripple light yellow w/40K.  I saw small one dent in the right front fender but otherwise very nice.  A Minnesota car but showed no signs of major rust.  [And trust me Ive seen rust in these cars while working on my 72 lately]  I did see a small area on rust below the vinyl roof on the drivers side, maybe about 1" by 1/2".  Was one of a matched set owned by the same family and I doubt it ever saw a winter.  If anybody is interested in such a car its about half the price of the car which is the topic of this thread.  It appears that the cars could be driven anywhere.  Id put it at a number 3 and number 4 with some work.

I also know of the where abouts of a 73 Fleetwood 9 passenger.  This car runs but has not been in service for a couple of years.  Id put it at a number 4 and with some work a number 3.

Chris

denise 20352

I definitely agree.  I cringe when I see cars advertised:

Been sitting 10 years.  We started it up and it ran great, but it wont start now because it has no battery in it.  (No way could it have run great, the gas is shellac...and you want me to pay $10k for the car, but you wont give me a battery?)

The A/C isnt working.  It probably needs a charge.  (Is that why there is no belt on it, and the pulley is rusty?)

It has a little electrical problem with the .... probably just needs the fuse replaced.  (Why dont you replace the fuse and get back to me on that one?)

No warranty, but its in great condition and I would drive it anywhere.  (Wanna deliver it?)

If you buy a car that has been sitting for years, dont plan to drive it home.  Arrange to trailer it in advance...its a lot easier than trying to do it from the side of the road.

-denise