News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1941 Cad Hydro-matic Trans.

Started by Gary Phillips, March 25, 2005, 07:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Phillips

I am considering the purchase of a 1941 Cadillac that has a Hydro-matic transmission.   Some have warned that: 1) it may not be reliable, 2) they are expensive to repair, and 3) may not survive a lenghthy trip.   Any advise, comments or personal experiences with the Hydro-matic?  

Greatly appreciate your prompt responses.

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Gary- My 41 is a standard shift and my 47 is hydro-matic.I tour out here in Phoenix with about seven other 41 Cadillacs, 6 are standard shift and one hydro-matic. The 41 with hydro-matic has a 47 hydro-matic which is much improved over the 41. I have another friend back east with a 41 which had a true 41 hydro-matic. His front pump on the 41 hydro-matic went out, could not find parts and he converted to a 47. There are a lot of 41s out there which have been converted to the 47 so maybe the one you are looking at has the improved hydro-matic.Just because the 41 you are looking at has a 41 hydro-matic doesn`t make it a bad car. There are still many 41s with the original transmission which are doing just fine. Regardless if it is a 41 or 47, any transmission is expensive to fix not so much for parts as it is to find someone with the knowledge and the tools.As for not being reliable enough to finish a trip,I guess if you thought about all the other driving problems one could get with these 60+ year old cars, you could talk yourself right into keeping the car in the garage. Driving these old Cadillacs is too much fun to worry about what if.

Gary Phillips

Dear Bill
Thank you for responding to my inquiry.  Your point on the conversion to a 47 hydro-matic is interesting.   Is there a way to know, by looking at the transmission from the outside, whether it is a 41 or 47.   Also, do you know of anyone in northern California (San Francisco, Marin or Sonoma counties, preferrably) that works on ~ 40s Cadillacs?

Thanks again for your help with this.

Gary

Bill Ingler CLC# 7799

Gary- Go over to the General Discussion Forum and look for Doug Huston`s posting on the difference between the 41 and 47. I think you also have a posting under the same thread.  You might email Jeff Maltby under the same thread, he might know someone in CA to work on you car.  Good Luck

Bob Laughon

To find the year of your transmission, check the serial number of the transmission.  41 & 42 trans had numbers stamped at the rear next to the extension housing, on passenger side.  Numbers are 25042C1-1 thru C1-1875 for 41 and 25042C2-1 thru C2-9777 for 42.  46 thru 48 numbers are on a green or red oval plate on passenger side of trans case.  Numbers are C-1 thru C-25683 for 46, C-25684 thru C-79192 for 47, and C-79193 thru C-129840 for 48.  Oval plates were green for earlier trans, red for later.  I do not know when the change over occurred.  Changes in the transmission were made at various times, NOT necessarily at end of model year.  The last major changes were made at serial number C-75750, during 1947 (about May).

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

No such thing as a HYDRO- Matic transmission! Bob

Bob Laughon

Yeah, I know that, but when you are replying to a post in this forum there is no way to correct a previous error.  Unless I am mistaken, there is also no hyphen, but I would have to dig out my repair manual to be certain of that.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Gary. Call Keiths Transmissons in Castro Valley, located in the S.F East Bay Area @ 510-538-0055.