News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Gas in Atlanta: $5.87 regular, $6.07 Premium

Started by Dave #17592, August 31, 2005, 09:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave #17592

YIKES!    On CNN news tonight!    Gas shortages and lines are already starting!    

I noticed that here in Connecticut the price jumped 50 cents a gallon.   Ill bet that once the rest of the country sees what the price is in Atlanta on TV they will jack up the prices too.

Price gouging.  Just one more way to add misery to an already bad situation we are in.

Andrew 10642

Price gouging is illegal in most states under theories of fraud.  After 9/11, several gas station owners tried that Cr@P and were later prosecuted. They just incite panic.

Lou CLC19028

The prices in Atlanta represent the fact that they are running out of gas down there.I just read on another forum that they are running out of gas in NC.Our refineries were running at 95percent capacity before the cane hit.Now 30percent of our refineries are down and out.Supply is nowhere near demand right now. BTW gas is going for $3.29 pg for reg gas/$3.19 for diesel on Long Island. Wheres Fiat when you need em? :)

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

A good time to start staying at home and simply talking to the next door neighbour.

Cheaper than going for a drive.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Sue 5125

Prices jumped from $2.75 to $2.99 last night but today when I got up I was seeing $3.09, $3.19 and $3.29 (SE Mich area).  

With several extra vehicles in the stable, many that were just filled up last week, if the supplies get low we can start pumping out those gas tanks and fill up the daily drivers.  That should hold us for at least a couple weeks and perhaps by then the prices will level out.

Dick Heller

Get a broadband connection and tele-commute, I do it three days a week, 30 days until the SUV goes back to GM!!!

Michael Stamps 19507

Its hard for me to Tele-Commute as I am busy installing cable modems for those of you that do.

Stampie
Cable Tech

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Michael,

I thought you would come up with an excuse.   But, seeing as the company pays your petrol so you can work, you have the best of both worlds.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S.   Sorry, there is only one world, according to some.

Michael Stamps 19507

Not only do they pay for my gas but least you forget they gave me a brand new work truck.  Nice 2005 GMC 2500 Van.  Just a little over 700 miles.

Stampie

PS - Its so smooth I still find myself speeding.  Nothing like my old 97 Chevy 2500 truck.  That thing would shake to death at 60 but she lead a hard 150,000 mile life.

Dave #17592

Hi Lou,

I just got a call from a buddy in Florida.   He said that alot of stations there are already out of regular gas.   The one next to where he works was selling Premium at the regular price.   They are telling people that there will be no gas till Labor day at the earliest.

Denise 20352

Ive noticed that the telecommuters are always the first ones to go away when we have our regular layoffs.  I have better equipment at home than I do at work, and I telecommute every now and then, but I have to do the face time or people dont realize what I do.  Fortunately, I only have five miles to go, so I could afford to drive a barge to work.

-denise

Mick

The supply-and-demand law is a myth, and has always been, Lou. Do not believe in that.
The only law is speculate as much as you can, wring customers wallets as much as you can get away with; in polite language, "what the market can bear".  And make the fuel price misleading perennial third decimal place a nine, consumers are idiots and wont notice...
Mick

Mike #19861

We are experiencing price gouging gere in Canada. Gas jumped from $1.02 per litre to as much as $1.28 per litre in one night. They are talking gas shortages here too.

We do not have any dependence on gulf oil here whatsoever. We are colmpletely self sufficent. Yet the prices rise to ridiculouse heights. There is even worries of gas rationing. A ridiculous scenario. There are reports of the oil companies making profits of as much as $0.35 per litre! And the gas stations that are pumping gas bought at cheaper prices are reported to be making an additional $0.17 per litre.

There are cries for the government to step in here, but so far they have refused. They make a percentage of the cost in gas taxes, as much as 35percent. So, the higher gas prices rise, the more the government can gouge you as well.

We may be dealing with protests of historic proprtions, and in a country that does not normally protest, if something is not done. Its costing me a fortune just to drive back and forth to work. Putting gas in the car is taking money away from other necessities, and really putting the squeeze on low income earners where they are having to cut back on food in order to get to and from work!

Dont get me wrong, I really feel for those that are suffering from the effects of the hurricane, and my thoughts and prayers are with them. But, for the oil companies to profit from this, and gouge consumers, is just plain criminal. Not only that, it is morally and ethically wrong. Once this is over, they will hopefully pay for their greed with new regulations against monopolizing and collusion.

Also, oil as a commodity must be removed from the NYSE since it is them that are mostly driving the price of oil futures up. Now this is just pure profiteering in the most basic sense.

Mike

Denise 20352

I would imagine that the gas needed for the mass evacuation is draining the fuel supply, but that doesnt give Connecticut any excuse.  Yesterday I found gas at the same price at one station, 30 cents higher at another.  Thats just plain price gouging, no question about it.  Were getting a few drops of rain here in Arizona, but not expecting any flood waters or evacuations, so why is our gas more expensive?

-denise

David #19063

Last night premium was $3.49/gallon when I filled my 94 Fleetwood Brougham.  It was $2.99 on Tuesday.

Brian Daum, 18809

Yes, I`m sure there running out of gas in Lousiana, but there probably running out of potatoes too, and I don`t see any change in potato prices.......

Oil Companies and governments uses any excuse they can to hike the prices, a hurricane here, a war there, yes all of these incidents are terrible happenings, but it`s not the first time a hurricane hits Lousiana or Florida.

Why should we, the second largest oil producing nation in the world, pay $ 8.25 pr. gallon???? Here they are talking about $ 16.00 a gallon because all of the Chinese just started driving cars last month????!!!!

Someone is making money out there!!!!!!

Brian
Western Norway

wm link

I,ve heard of airlines (crippled by fuel costs) offering free flights to hurricane victims...but what are the poor oil companies offering, or are they too busy raising prices every half hour?????????

denise

Gas is $.12 in Caracus.  It might be worth your while to take a tanker truck down there.  Youll run into some Chinese people on the way.

-denise

denise 20352

Its a lovely time to take a drive.  Theres almost no traffic.

-denise