News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Sombrero hubcaps?

Started by Thomas Bredahl, December 15, 2005, 04:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Bredahl

Hi all.

I am looking to buy a set of sombrero hubcaps for my 49.
Would of course prefer a nice used set to match the patina of the car.
Have also looked at the repro caps of Mcveys......
Anyone has any info or experience with these?

Thanks.

Thomas

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963

Hi Thomas.  I had to buy one or two from McVeys for my 47 at one time.  They are pretty nice, actually, if a little pricey. The medalion is a little brighter and garish than orginal though. The red is a candy apple red but other than that I liked them.  I know that there was a difference in fit between the years so be sure to ask about that.
You can also get the individual medalions so they would all look the same rather than standing out.  

Check eBay though for used ones.  And try Cherlokian at All Cads of the forties and fifties as he might have a set.  Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Randall

Thomas Bredahl

Thanks Randall for the very usefull reply.
I guess ill wait for a deal on some good used caps, as that will propably look the best on my car.
A couple of regulars from this forum has already offered me deals on hubcaps that im considering.
Still need to see some pics of them though before deciding.

Herman Desser

Remember the 1948 was the year change to the wider wheels and the earlier sombreros will not fit from 1948 upward.  The later caps have two holes (about 3/4 inches in diameter) in the hub part on the rear of the cap that snaps onto the wheel.  The 48-49 were flash chromed on steel, the later years were stainless steel highly polished, purists will say the s/s is wrong on the 48/49 but this is hard to tell.

Herman

Jeff Maltby #4194

I purchased a mint set of somberos at a swap meet years ago. I rushed home to attach on my 49 fastback, but it kept popping off in my hand. Thats when I learned the inner bell housing mount flanges are different depths. 1947 caps have one drain hole with a shorter mount flange, while the 48 and up have 2 drain holes with a deeper mount flange.

Thomas Bredahl

Thanks guys for the valuable info.... only problem is i dont know how to tell them apart by just looking at them.
Any specific differences i can identify them by, or would i have to go by my tape measure?

Thomas Bredahl

Oops... sorry!!  Guess it would help to actually READ all of what you wrote..... Ill go hide now ;-)

Jeff Maltby #4194

Hey Thomas.You must need a warm vacation on some tropical island somewhere ? :<)

You get your first copy of the 49ers chapter newsletter yet ?

Jeff 49 fastback body # 3910

Thomas Bredahl

Hi Jeff.

Im sure youre right. I could be in need of a tropical vacation other than the one i just got back from..... damn its cold back here in Copenhagen :-(

I have received the latest 49ers newsletter aswell as the previous two. Great reading in all three!
Im just finishing writing the story of my fastback, and Ill send it as a possible article for the next newsletter.

Happy New Year by the way!

Art #22010

Tom, Hi.  Im an east coaster from the central Penn region of CLC.
   I have 3 originals from my 49 in so- so shape. Polished up they looked ok on my 49 before restoration.  Not acceptable after. They are definately heavier than the reproductions. The 4th one is in my trunk as a spare in case I loose one and is hand polished up and looks about as the others would. I will send along pictures. Art

Aer Archambeault

Hi Tom,
I have 3 of these, $ 20.00 piece plus shipping. I can send close up of each one if you wish. These are originals, heavy! I have all 3 center rings, but only 1 medalian in rough shape. They are all included. Tell me what you think. Art

I have been trying to email you and it comes back. I have pictures of the hubs you are looking for, please email me privately.  jandainpa@yahoo.com

Art

Thomas Bredahl

Hi Art.

Thanks a lot for your kind offer. The caps look ok but I am really looking to buy a complete set of 4.
Its gonna cost me to have them shipped across the pond, so Im considering a set of repops.
Have been away on vacation so thats why i havent seen your mails untill now.

Thomas