News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Caddy prototype 58, 2seater, fiberglass..HELP

Started by Petter Larsen, January 19, 2006, 04:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petter Larsen

we have a caddy 58, 2 seater, fiberglass, but i cannot find any info bout it anywhere, been all over the web..and nothing! We just got the car in Norway. Have pics and docs of the car if anyone can help. The car toured with GM from 59 to 63 as The sportscar of the future

Looks a bit like a corvette i think.

Need help!

Pls mail to; injolaemail addresses not permitted

injola(at)gmail.com

thanks!

Lou 19028

Could it be this car? Even though it was a 1953 model. It was revised in 1958 and looks like a 1958... http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm_Mans.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm_Mans.htm

Petter Larsen

..nope, its not the one. Our actually has Thunderbolt marking on the doors and GT on the side-back, the back of the car looks little as a Stingray..its not a convertible.

In the doc which came with the car it says; Make of vehicle; SP CONSTR, Type; CP

The car is small and short compared to other caddy makes of the time.

More than happy to send u some pics of it, your email addr?

Jim Jordan

I would like to see these pics as well please.  Send them to: allante93jj@aol.com.

Thank you.

Yann Saunders, 12588

I have a problem accepting it as an authentic Cadillac-built prototype.  My gut feeling (but I may be wrong) is that this car was put together by some racing enthusiast(s) of the time, using a Cadillac motor and modified chassis. Somebody needs to go through old issues of "Hot Rod" and similar magazines of that period, looking for this particular vehicle. I have a feeling it might be found in there.

Meanwhile, Petter should try to get from GM Historical a copy of the build sheet for the cars engine VIN? That will tell him where the original chassis/motor went.

Usually, Cadillac-built or approved prototypes carry a body ID tag, showing the letters "SO" (special order) or "SX" (denoting a special feature, described on the build-sheet). For example, 1958 Series 62, style 6239SX denoted a custom 4-door "Sedan Seville" with body features usually found only on the 2-door Eldorado Seville; four of these were built. In 1958, Series 62, style 6267SSX was a specially-built Eldorado coupe (unique).

But these were merely  "production" cars with special features.  "Prototype" cars and Show Cars had a whole different numbering system, starting with an "XP" (experimental) number followed by an "SO" number. For example, the experimental "La Salle" sedan shown at that years "Motorama" was "XP32" and "SO-2217"; the "La Salle" roadster style was "XP34" and "SO-2220"; the  Eldorado Brougham prototype "XP38" and "SO-2253"; the 56 Eldorado Brougham Town Car was "XP48" and "SO-2491"; the 59 Cyclone was "XP 74" and "SO-90450".

For the present, I would classify Petters car among other "custom" creations by "independents" like Bill Frick,  Jim Gaylord, Frank Kurtis, Brooks Stevens.

Petter

Thanks to you guys who has been helping out so far!

Here are some info I have bout the car;

1958 Prototype;

Built in 1958

Toured with GM 1959-62 as the Caddy Sports car of the future

Titled, registered, and street driven in 1963 in Penna. USA.
Titled as Special Construction vehicle by Pa.state Law due
to vehicle never went into Factory production.

All fiberglass body

1958 caddy frame shortened 25" and narrowed 8"
1958 Caddy engine bored and worked to 450 c.u
        Roller rockers + 3/4 street cam. 4.Quadrajet Carb.

Has power steering and power brakes
Manual Rolldown Rear Window, Manuel Choke
Magnesium Keystone Classic Rims, Hurst Dualgate shifter w/ lock-out
Car originally was white

Non-original parts are Tail-light lens and radio

Michael Stamps 19507

Thats sounding like an aftermarket custom to me.

Stampie

Petter

Stampie

Might be, but the black/with pics of it is taken when the car was new, late 50s early 60s.

Im no expert, but if I customized cars I would not put any make/brand tags on it..cannot see any reason why they would do so back in the days when this car was new. I mean, why let some manufacture take the credits for your design?

--Petter

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Petter,

I am in agreeance with Stampie.

For one, they didnt have Roller Rockers back in those days, and the Quadrajet Carby didnt come into existance till well after 1964 I believe.   The same goes for the Hurst Dual-gate Shifter - they were a lot later.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Petter

little more info

some numbers found on the engine and transmission

Engine; 1469262-1 and d5-4 and 1484340

transmission; 8617539.4N8. C57-83543

Yann Saunders, 12588

Petter, these dont read like Cadillac numbers at all. On which part of the block did you get that engine VIN?  From 49 to 58, the VIN is located on the front of the RH block, between the generator and the water pump, at right angles to the crankshaft. From59-64, its on the lower LH side of the cylinder block, just above the edge of the oil-pan.