News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Leaking Convertible HELP

Started by Glenn Brady, May 03, 2006, 10:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Brady

Every time I wash my 1972 Eldo convertible, the inside of my trunk gets saturated with water. I bought the car last month. IS their some type of membrane that I am missing >? Please help

Richard Pope

I also have a 72 Eldo so I will give this a shot. First make sure your weatherstrip around the trunk is in good shape. Reproductions are plentiful and not very expensive. Test yours by only turning on your water on low and slowly move it around the edge of the trunk. Be sure not to get any oversplit onto the top. This will test your trunk weather seal. If your trunk is dry, the water is problably coming in from between the top and the body. Is your top in good shape and fit tightly against the metal?

Dale

I have some experience with this.

Firstly, a good way to check the seal is to climb into the trunk. No kidding. Climb in in the day time and have a (good) friend close it on you. Then just look around and see if any light is seeping in between the seal and trunk lid.

If thats OK, then I bet its the gutter under where the rear of the roof comes down. Just underneath where the roof is attached to the body, there is a plastic gutter running across the car. If you look inside the trunk, and turn your head up to look under the panel between the roof and trunk you will see it. This plastic gutter collects all the water that runs off the back of the roof. It then directs that water down each side behind the rear quarters. Does that make sense to you? These gutters often crack and/or fall apart and the water spills into the trunk. In some earlier models the gutter is steel, but can have the same problem if it rusts through.

Let me know how you go.

Dale.
68 DeVille Convertible (Australia).

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Further, whilst you are in the trunk, with a torch, have the friend that closed the lid on you, play a hose around the back of the car, and see if you can see where it is coming through.

Take a towel in there with you, just in case you get too wet.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S.   Make sure your friend turns the hose on.

Chris Arneson #22170

Just of point of translation.  Our dear friend Bruce implies the use of an “electric” torch or flashlight, not one with flames!  Although, since the trunk is large enough, try four or five tiki torches.  You could invite some neighbors for happy hour as well.  Maybe some grass skirting around the bumper to finish off the island theme, and then forget about the leak!

Chris

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Chris,

Thanks for the correction or the translation

I would hate to think that I was the cause of a total meltdown.

I am now thinking of the effects of an open flame in the boot (trunk) (see, using the wrong term again) and petrol (gas) tank underneath, carpet and then a spare tyre (tire).   Recepie for an instant barbeque.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV