News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

47 Rear Wheel Hub frozen

Started by Ralph Hoyt, May 17, 2006, 10:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Hoyt

Need some help.   The real wheel drum hub is frozen on my 1947 6267.   I have tried the wheel puller and already broke one stud on the drum.   I can not get it to budge.   Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.   Also does anyone know where I can purchase a rear drum/hub.

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

Get out the flaming wrench & heat it up!!! And Im not talking about a little propane torch. Good luck, Bob

Bill Sullivan

Ralph:

I assume you are using the correct, three leg puller that attaches firmly to the wheel lugs.  It has a hammer spanner to load up the puller.

When you put on the puller, do not tighten the lugs against the puller legs, leave a bit of a gap between the leg and the lug nut.  This gives legs need some freedom to rotate and allign themselves.  If the nuts are too tight, it may cause the legs to bend the lug and break it.  

I would try put the puller back on on three of the remaining four lugs and load it up smartly with the hammer spanner that is used to tighten the thing.  Try not to load it has hard as you did when the lug broke.

I would then get an aceylelene torch and heat circumference of the drum just outside where it joins the axle.  This heat, along with some hammering of the drum around the edge, should pop the drum.   If not, keep crank a little bit more tension into the puller and heat and tap again.  Eventually it should give way.

Those lugs are very strong, I have never broken one with the puller I have, even though my drums have been very, very tight.  I suspect the lug that broke may have been rusty or damaged.

Good luck!

JIM CLC # 15000

05-17-06
Ralph, Make sure the brake shoes are loosen completely and apply pressure with the (puller) and hit the center puller screw(bolt) with a B F H  real smartly. and it should come off. Let the pressure remain on the drum for 24 hours or longer. As for the lug bolt that broke, you should be able to buy replacements at most any auto parts store. They are simple to replace.
Good Luck, JIM

JIM CLC # 15000

05-17-06
Ralph, Forgot to tell you to KEEP the axle nut on until the hub breaks loose. The nut will prevent the hub from damageing your wifes car when it decises to break loose.
HTH
Good Luck, JIM

Jeff Maltby #4194

Swab some anti-seize on the shaft afterwards. Never a problem again.