News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

85 Eldo Gear Selector

Started by Johnny #662, October 12, 2006, 05:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny #662

My gear selector on my 85 Eldo is out of whack.  When I start the car and put it in gear, it dont move unless, I first put it in First gear then go to Drive. It also goes when I put the gear selector into Neutral. The cruise control only works when I am in D and not N  To put it into Reverse I have to put the gear selector just left of R.  It appears as though what ever connects the gear shift lever to the gear selector is loose.  Has anyone ever had this problem, or any suggestions what the problem could be.  The transmission works fine.

Porter

Johnny,

Mike Jones the factory Cadillac mechanic has an 85 Eldo I acquired for free and he came all the way from Canada to Maine to grab it, Hes building a 4.5L engine to replace the HT 4100 that let go.

Im sure he has seen this problem before, a linkage adjustment of sorts, Ill get him to reply here for you.

He was right in the thick of it back in the 80s dealing with these cars. Recently he picked up a nice 87 Eldo driver for daily use.

Porter

Johnny #662

Quote from: PorterJohnny,

Mike Jones the factory Cadillac mechanic has an 85 Eldo I acquired for free and he came all the way from Canada to Maine to grab it, Hes building a 4.5L engine to replace the HT 4100 that let go.

Im sure he has seen this problem before, a linkage adjustment of sorts, Ill get him to reply here for you.

He was right in the thick of it back in the 80s dealing with these cars. Recently he picked up a nice 87 Eldo driver for daily use.

Porter

Thanks in advance for any help you or he can offer.....

Porter

Johnny,

Mike rebuilt / replaced / worked on more HT 4100s than he cares to admit too, they really stiffed the mechanics back in those days.

He works nights on big trucks now for Penske, of course the new RWD Cadillacs are bullet proof and he stays in touch with the dealer mechanics.

Since you have a low mileage car Im sure he knows what the problem is.

I really liked my free 85 Eldo with the blown engine but way over my mechanical capabilities, perfect car for Mike, he knows them inside and out, the car has a nice repaint and good leather interior, no rust so to speak.

Hes building an HT 4100 block with 4.5L cylinders, will be a great performer with good mpg.

We should hear from him after the night shift, the guy is a Cadillac guru, and a Redneck Canadian hailing from Ontario.

LOL,

Porter

Mike #19861

Thanks for the good words, Porter!

The problem sounds simple. First you need to check under the car where the cross shaft from the lever connects between the frame anf trans manual selector lever. There is a plastic ball and spring that rides in a round socket on the frame. These are notorious for wearing and the effect is that you end up with a very sloppy slector. Its easy to replace and the parts are cheap.

Once that is either ascertained that it is OK, or repaired, then you can set the indicator in the dash properly. There is a collar on the column that moves a cable to the quadrant. You wilkl have to remove the cover over the column where it enters the dash to access it. The cable just clips onto this collar. Place the transmission into neutral, remove the clip and position the needle into the proper neutral position and move the lever through the ranges to make sure it is set correctly. You may have to do it a couple of times to get it right.

Mike

Johnny#662

Quote from: Mike #19861Thanks for the good words, Porter!

The problem sounds simple. First you need to check under the car where the cross shaft from the lever connects between the frame anf trans manual selector lever. There is a plastic ball and spring that rides in a round socket on the frame. These are notorious for wearing and the effect is that you end up with a very sloppy slector. Its easy to replace and the parts are cheap.

Once that is either ascertained that it is OK, or repaired, then you can set the indicator in the dash properly. There is a collar on the column that moves a cable to the quadrant. You wilkl have to remove the cover over the column where it enters the dash to access it. The cable just clips onto this collar. Place the transmission into neutral, remove the clip and position the needle into the proper neutral position and move the lever through the ranges to make sure it is set correctly. You may have to do it a couple of times to get it right.

Mike

Mike, thanks a lot for the help.  I will let you know how I do....

Porter

Johnny,

This is nothing new, people fail to realize that the linkage requires lubrication, FWD or RWD.

My 90 G 20 Chevy van linkage started acting up a few years ago, put the shift lever in park and the tranny pawl wasnt engaging in park mode, the Van would just roll, a little lube solved the problem.

Still not right, I have two low gears and the shifter wont go all the way to the lowest low, rarely use the low gear anyway but nonetheless needs attention.

Prior to this it was very stiff to move the lever, live and learn, cant complain after 170K mileage but Im getting with the program, shell run up to 250K easily and then some more, GM quality, but keep things topped off with fluid changes and new filters, etc.

I think with the lube and adjustment youll be like new.

Porter

Johnny#662

Quote from: PorterJohnny,

This is nothing new, people fail to realize that the linkage requires lubrication, FWD or RWD.

My 90 G 20 Chevy van linkage started acting up a few years ago, put the shift lever in park and the tranny pawl wasnt engaging in park mode, the Van would just roll, a little lube solved the problem.

Still not right, I have two low gears and the shifter wont go all the way to the lowest low, rarely use the low gear anyway but nonetheless needs attention.

Prior to this it was very stiff to move the lever, live and learn, cant complain after 170K mileage but Im getting with the program, shell run up to 250K easily and then some more, GM quality, but keep things topped off with fluid changes and new filters, etc.

I think with the lube and adjustment youll be like new.

Porter

Thanks for the info.  Stiffness isnt the problem with my gear selector. I can move the gear shift with no problem, but the indicator isnt catching into its slot.  I chatted today with a club member that had the same problem with his 84 Eldo, and his problem was with the ball and spring that has already been mentioned.

Johnny #662

Thanks to all for their help.  I took my Eldo into a Chevy dealership, its way closer then the Cadillac dealership, and it was the ball underneath the car.  The ball was broke.  Price for repair is estimated around $100.

Thanks again.

Johnny