News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1953 car: alignment between vent windows and cranks

Started by Rob Kranenburg, October 07, 2006, 08:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Kranenburg

Hi,

I am rebuilding a 53 car, Im getting there, but have a mystery.
The small triangular vent windows on the doors and their crank-mechanisms dont line up anymore.

These parts all came off the car together, and they fit (at the time). I have redone the chrome of the vent window-rails, Ive buffed the door-trim back to a great shine, and Ive replaced the rubber moldings. I have new window glass, but havent glued it in so I can align it with the rail between the big and the little glass.

When I try to re-assemble things, the crank-mechanism only fits in one position on the door. There are 3 bolt-holes, there is a little play (1/8 or so), it all lines up witht he door panel, so Im guessing that one is in the right spot.

The vent-window fits into the frame, the pin at the top is in the right place, it fits the rubber molding, and the glass alignes pretty nicely with the center post (within 1/16), so it looks like that one is where it is supposed to be.

The shaft on the window lines up with the hole on the crank mechanism, so the alignment of the window and the crank-piece in the door seem OK.

The mystery is that the shaft on the window is around 3/4 too short. The bolt-hole in the shaft and the bolt-hole in the crank-piece are off by that much. How did that happen? Is there an adapter piece that I lost? It is about the same between the L and R doors.

The one thing I can think off is that the T-piece with the window shaft is in the wrong position. Right now the T-bar sits inside the glass-rail and the shaft sticks through. Moving it to the outside might work length-wise, but it would seriously mess with the rubber molding. I also have pictures that show that thing on the inside before I got started. So, I doubt thats it, but who knows. I obviously dont.

Any insights? Anyone with a 53 fleetwood and a picture of how these pieces go together? Ive re-done this 4 times now, same result every time, so trying again is not gonna help much :-)

Thanks,

RK

Russ Hobden #1235

I can sympathize with you.  I had a similar problem with my 50 Cad when doing the drivers side but the passenger side went in as smooth as silk.  I tried putting the frame in without the rubber to see what was wrong but that wasnt much help besides its hard on the rubber molding to keep putting in on and taking it off the frame.  I eventually got it but cant remember what the trick was.  Try going to the other door and see if you are having the same problems there.  The body manual would be nice to have about this time, huh?  But there wasnt one published for my 50 and dont know if one is available for your 53 or not.  Good luck.  Russ Hobden  #1235

Rob Kranenburg

Hi Russ,

I did try both doors, and on one its off by a little more than 1/2, on the other one by a little less than 3/4. I think I have all of the manuals for those years, down to an obscure A/C training manual, and nothing like a body manual.

Just one question: on your car, how does the T-shaped piece fit? Is  it riveted to the outside of the chromed rail, or does it sit inside the rail and just the shaft sticks through?

RK

Russ Hobden #1235

Im trying to remember and I dont want to take my door apart again.  But I think it is riveted to the chrome.  Could you go to a junk yard and examine a car there?  Russ Hobden

Michael Brittan #2750

Rob:  When the vent window frame was rechromed, was everything else removed, including the rivets which retain the hinge?  If so, were these put back correctly?
Mike

Rob Kranenburg

Yes, absolutely everything was removed. The rivets were taken out and (new ones) reinstalled, and I cant truthfully tell you whether they are right or wrong. I think so, but then if everything was right they would probably fit...

Overall, the chromed glass-frame fits the rubber seal very nicely, all along the edge. There is no major play (over say 1/16). Also, all of the pieces on the door came together around the exisitng bolt/screw holes very well, so I think those pieces are pretty much correct. But, any ideas for double-checks I can do would be much appreciated.

From there, I looked at the top hinge point. The fixed piece can go on the inside and the outside of the door-frame, and I did move it a few times to see what would work best. Just based on the alignment between the glass-frame and the rubber seal etc. plus how thing rotates I think it is in the right spot. Again, if you could tell me how to double-check, thatd be great.

The chromed glass-frame has 3 holes in the bottom. One big one and two little ones. The T-bar shaped piece looks like it has to go on the inside of the window rail. It would be the purpose of the bigger hole (the little ones are for the rivets), plus if the thing were on the outside I dont think the frame would fit the rubber seal.

Because of all this, I think I got the window pieces back together the way theyre supposed to go. Its the best fit I can find if you will. I think the mistake is in the crank-piece, but there is not a whole lot I can do there. So, Im stuck....

RK