News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Wire hubcap key missing

Started by Bob, November 06, 2006, 07:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

I found a beautiful set of wire hubcaps on a Cadillac, however, there is no key to remove the center lock.  What other tool can be used to remove the hubcaps?

Bob

Viator Trudeau #8697

When I got my 91 Brougham the cover key to turn the captive nut in the center of the cover was missing. I borrowed a key from a neighbor, a poor match up but I  was able to loosen the nuts. The captive nut can be removed easily. Replace the cover and secure it W/ a 3/8 hexnut on the center stud. The security was not there but in 13 years no problem.  I understand there are 7 or 8 different key shapes. After getting the cover  off take it to a dealer to get a key fitted.

Mike #19861

What year car are the caps on?

Many use an annoying metal capscrew in the centre with a coded insert that quite often strips out when it seizes in. But, many times it is colour coded so that you can go to the dealer and ask for the correct colour of key.

Later cars used a plastic lock which was also colour coded. They are also available at the dealer.

Mike

Bob

I think it’s a 1984 sedan deville can I use a plumbers wrench?

Thanks for everyone’s help

Bob

Quote from: Mike #19861What year car are the caps on?

Many use an annoying metal capscrew in the centre with a coded insert that quite often strips out when it seizes in. But, many times it is colour coded so that you can go to the dealer and ask for the correct colour of key.

Later cars used a plastic lock which was also colour coded. They are also available at the dealer.

Mike

Bob

Need emergency fix, I want to get them tomorrow-$35.00 for four-HELP!!!