News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

39 lasalle electric fuel pump

Started by Dennis Buchholz 17324, January 17, 2008, 02:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Buchholz 17324

Does anyone know a supplier of a specific electric fuel pump that works well on this era car?  I have used one from JC Whitney that worked great for awhile but the alcohol in the gas dissolved the rubber parts making quite a mess.  All of our gas here has alcohol in it now.  Thank you.

homeonprunehill

01-17-08
Dennis,If the pump is built the same as the '82 Datsun's p/u, you might find an electric to rewire the pmup motor to 6VDC, I had an '82 Datsun P/U and had to change the pump once because it stopped operating, but never for leaking.
Good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Fred Zwicker #23106

Try Cooper's Vintage Auto Parts in CA - They will have a good 6-volt fuel pump for your 39 LaSalle.

Cooper's
3087 North California St.
Burbank, CA  91504
818-567-4140
www.coopersvintage.com

Fred
1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Kerry Pilling

Dennis, here is another thought about electric fuel pms. They are designed to push fuel more efficiently than pull the fuel. So if you mount the pump near the gas tank it will push the fuel better and last longer. When I put one on my LaSalle I made a block off plate for where the mechanical pm went and mounted the electric pm to that. it worked O.K. but I later moved it closer to the gas tank and it worked better. It will work either way but closer to the tank it will work better and last longer. Kerry

Bill Gauch #23121

One of the problems with mounting an electric fuel pump in the engine compartment is that the soft fuel lines collapse. If you use a hard steel line to about 6" from the mount point, it shouldn't be a problem. I would suggest steel to inline filter to soft fuel line for vibration damping.

I'm surprised any manufacturer still uses a diaphragm that dissolves in ethanol. The one from Cooper's will likely be your solution.
WANTED: Nothing right now.

- 1938 Series 65 - 4-door sedan - Restoration (slowly) ongoing

http://38caddy.blogspot.com/

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Carter makes a nice rotary vane 6 Volt Fuel pump, it is a little big, but works nicely. Napa carries these Carter #P4259.

AC 6 Volt pump, EP 11, GM #6414670 is still available.

Airtex also stil makes 6 Volt fuel pumps, so check them out also.

Fuel lines. Today use only fuel injector hose rated at 30R9 this is built for the new gas. It is not cheap but it does not fail. Advance Auto has this hose at the most reasonable price.
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

CEC #20099

CEC #20099

I have a Carter rotary vane 6v on a Mopar. It is noisy, not self priming & draws a lot of amps.

AC Delco # EP11 will not tolerate modern fuels. I found out the hard way.

I am using a Carquest #E 8011 6v on my 39 Buick, with no problems. Quiet, low amp draw.
No problems to date. Rotary vane pump.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

CEC,

I believe the Carquest pump is made by Airtex.

I have not seen this problem with the newer AC pumps. Was this failure on an older pump or a newer one. I realize the alchol in gas eats the old rubber, so just curious.

On the Carter pumps they do make noise. All 6 Volts motors draw a few amps, I did not notice any excessive draw on my 37 nor my 49, so again am curious about your statement. You lost me on the self priming, the gas flows from the tank to the pump, the pump does not pull gas - so all electric fuel pumps by their very nature are not self priming. Or, as usual, did I miss something?
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series