News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

1937 La Salle Overheating and foaming coolant

Started by Mark, June 24, 2008, 10:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

I just acquired a 1937 La Salle Sedan.  It runs great but overheats which I understand is a common problem.  I've done a search and have found some valuable information that I will follow up on.  I do have a question about the engine coolant foaming.  My understanding is that foaming coolant reduces the dissipation of heat.  What could be causing this?

Regards,

Mark

v pulley

RE, foaming coolant
A product called Pencool 3000  by Penray  and used in many large trucks to prevent foaming.  It also has sodium hydroxide an alkyde to keep acid content down.

Mark

Thanks for the info.  I'll give it a try.  What do you think is causing the foaming?  Is this foaming typical in the 37 La Salle?

Thanks,

Mark

The Tassie Devil(le)

Foaming of the Cooling system is not what you ever want.

Sounds like a serious Head Gasket problem to me.

Time for a Compression Check, and a Coolant Pressure Check as well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

baxterculver

I agree with Bruce.  The symptoms sound like a blown head gasket.  The good news:  headgaskets (for flathead motors)  are easy to replace, quickly available from several vendors, and if the heads need surfacing, the job can be easily done by your local machine shop. 

But, while you are under the hood, check the ignition timing.  If the timing isn't set correctly, that alone can cause overheating.  If all that doesn't solve the overheating problem, look at the radiator--it has had 71 years to accumulate "stuff" that can block the flow of water.
baxter culver clc#17184

Bill Ingler #7799

I also agree with Bruce and Baxter. To also back up what Baxter said on the head, take the head to a machine shop and get it decked if necessary. Several years ago I had your same problem with a 41 and just changed the gasket with out checking the trueness of the head. Now I have the engine apart for rebuilding and all indications show water still was leaking from that same changed gasket. Block as well as heads will now be decked for trueness.

malatu

Could the foaming be caused by the water pump pulling in some air (but not leaking any coolant).  Is this a possibility?
Mark B.
CLC # 24478

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Mark,

If the water pump is "Pulling Air" it would be leaking out water when the engine is turned off.

What colour is the water?   White?   Oily and slippery when felt?

I also wonder if anyone has put soap inside the system to try and seal a leak, and it is simply getting "Suds-clog"?

The previous owner might have shoved soap in some radiator holes to stop leaks.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Overheating on any engine isn't a "Common Problem", unless something is wrong with the internals and that includes the cooling system.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

harvey b

Hello All,one thing on these cars you have to watch for is the radiator shutters sticking shut,they are a little hard to see with the grille in place,does the bubbling start after the car gets warmed up,also the rad has to be full of water for the thermostat to work properly.if the shutters stick shut it will overheat pretty bad,as no cold air is running over the fins on the rad.if the thermostat is faulty you can unhook them and wire the shutters open,or remove them all together,as these cars are not winter driven that might be the best way to eliminate that problem?.the water level is very important in these cars,also i would remove the drain cocks on the block and blow out the block passages as they will fill up with rust and crud overe  the years,and run lots of fresh water through the block and rad to try and flush it out.not sure if this is even your problem but is worth a try.  HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness