News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1938 Cadillac Battery Replacement

Started by Bob Barker 24828, September 09, 2008, 09:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Barker 24828

I have just now joined the local and national Cadillac clubs.

My task on my car is to replace the battery.  It won't hold a charge.  Number 1 is how to get the battery out, it looks like it will need to go down because it is to big to pass through going up.  Oh,  it is a stock V8 and 6 volts, 1938.  Does it go down and how do you hold it up while unbolting it?  Do you need a floor jack? 

Next question; what type (number) of battery is correct for this car (conv sed)?  The one that is in there looks small, doesn't fill the battery tray and has no hold down.  Also what does the battery hold down look like, how does it work?  I might be able to fabricate something original looking.

Last question for right now is where is a good place to get a good, high quality, correct 6 volt battery?  If possible I would like pick it up myself, no shippping.  Someplace within or close to Orange County, California.

Thank You, Bob Barker     

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Bob,

Congratulations on your purchase.

First off, contact Antique Auto Battery of Hudson, OH. 800-426-7580 or 330-425-2395

They will have to ship a battery to you but may be able to recommend a local distributor.

As far as 6 volt systems go, they take a bad rap for being under powered. This is usually not the fault of the system design but of faulty components. 6volt systems work very well and have plenty of oomph if they are kept in perfect order.

Start with a new fully charged battery.
Make sure your voltage regulator is adjusted exactly to specs.
Make sure your generator is charging at maximum capacity. Have it thoroughly rebuilt by a professional if necessary - not just a cleaning and new brushes.

Many people overlook the cables. Get the original type and gauge cables and make sure all your connections are clean and tight. Some people will tell you to get larger diameter, heavier gauge cables but this often has the opposite effect. If they are to thick, they offer too much resistance and you will have sluggish starts.

Make sure all your ground connections are clean, tight and contacting metal, not paint.

Do all of these things and you will have good reliable service from your 6 volt system.

I'm sorry I can't tell you how to get your battery out as I'm not an expert on your particular model.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Glen

The way I read the shop manual supplement the battery box is on hooks that go into the frame.  You have to jack up the car and remove it from underneath. 

First you remove the battery cables. Then you remove the long bolt that runs from the front plate to the rear plate, and then remove the bolt at the lower front corner where it attaches to the frame.  Then you pry the bottom of the box out a half to three quarters of an inch, unhook it from the frame and lower it to the floor. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

homeonprunehill

Quote from: Bob Barker 24828 on September 09, 2008, 09:04:12 PM
Number 1 is how to get the battery out, it looks like it will need to go down because it is to big to pass through going up....  Do you need a floor jack? 

Next question; what type (number) of battery is correct for this car (conv sed)?.... 

Last question for right now is where is a good place to get a good, high quality, correct 6 volt battery?  If possible I would like pick it up myself, no shippping.  Someplace within or close to Orange County, California.

Thank You, Bob Barker     
09-10-08
bOB, OTTOSKIORZEOY and Glen are correct in thir statements.  Hum-so ever, you had several questrions left unanswered  1. A floor jack will help.
2. Measure the battery box, buy the largest battery(PHY.) and CCA possible.(leave room at the top to replace ccables and service battery.3. Go to an old Farm and Ranch store
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Nasser Almasary

If you want to pick up yuor battery, I would call Bob Cooper he is a stone throw from you in Burbank CA. Bob carrys the Optima 6V batteries which are small, dry, and very practical for our old cars. his tel:
818-567-4140
www.coopersvintage.com
If you have a regular battery, you could remove it from the car (top end) with aid of a sling that hook to the batery plugs. This sling is sold in most auto parts store or (as usual) at ebay. Good luck.
Nasser,
1939 60 special
1947 convertible
1972 Eldorado convertible

Doug Houston

This sounds like you have a 38-75. The process is thus:  (It's the same for the 38 and 39-90)

1. disconnect the battery from above.

2. Jack he car up, probably 12 inches from the floor.

3. get  the jack beneath the battery box, and raise it possibly 1/2 inch.

4. Remove the two long bolts that the battery box hangs from.

5. Lower the battery, in box, enough to roll out from under the car on the jack.

6. Replace the battery with the new one, and reverse the above steps.

The group size battery if you're going with the original type is Group 2, 6 Volt. You could also go with a group 4H, which is the one used in the series 90 (V16) Cadillacs, but if everything is working OK, you don't need one that big.  If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby, the have all of those batteries on the shelf, and their prices are very decent. They have the end-to-end 6 Volt and 12 Volt batteries too.

However, I'd recommend an Optima as mentioned above. I've been using them, like so many others, and they're impossible to beat. And too, you'll be able to replace one of them from above, and do away with all that mish-mosh with the big battery.

38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

homeonprunehill

09-10-08
Bob Barker, any chance you are the BOB BARKER of "the Price is Right" fame ????

Bob Barker 24828

Thank you everyone.  Tomorrow I will crawl around on the floor to take a look for those two bolts that hold the battery in place.  Now I know the battery recommendations and where and what is available.  This Optima battery sounds interesting.  I have worries that the car may not start some times and this might be good insurance.  I hope they are not yellow, sure would look out of place!

This brings up another question: what should I do if I need a jump start some time?  All cars I run across are 12 volt.  Lot of sparks if you put 12 volts across 6 volts.

I think the model number is 38-6549 not a model 75.  I am not the famous 'Bob Barker',  but I get asked all the time.

Thanks, Bob

Otto Skorzeny

Antique Auto Battery (mentioned above in my previous post) sells Optima batteries in old fashioned cases. They're pretty expensive but supposedly will last 10 to 12 years.

As for jump starting? Buy a portable jumper that you can keep in your car. They're about the size of a woman's purse and are charged by plugging them in to the wall at night. They have two cables with alligator clips just like regular jumper cables.

It's basically a small rechargable battery with a carrying handle and with jumper cables built in. Most have a switch for 6v or 12v so you can use it for all cars. They're not that expensive either.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

homeonprunehill

09-10-08
Bob, I have a '38 La Salle which I have to "jumped-started" frrom time to time. For starters. 1. Charging is the same as "Jump-starting" connect POS. to POS. and NEG.TO NEG.  2. You will need a helper when "jump-starting". Hold starter button in (even if installed battery is depleated) have helper apply jumper-cable to starter. It should start, disconnect cables as soon as engine- starts. HTH Good Luck,JIM

Bob Barker 24828

Thanks for the help.  I removed the old battery and it was a group 1.  It was on a shelf that was hooked into the top of the frame.  There wasn't any hold down or bolts, it was just setting on the shelf and held by the battery cables.  It looks like it was sliding around.  A good bump in the road and the shelf could have come unhooked.  The battery would have been on the ground.

I can see where the long bolt would have gone, between two plates from the frame to the fender.  With the proper size battery the long bolt would have grabbed the battery between the two plates and pinched/held the battery I guess.  I will make a "long bolt" and see how it feels.

I ordered the print version of the shop manual.  Three weeks for delivery.  Maybe there will be a picture of the battery hold down.

Thanks Bob

Glen

Yes, there is a picture.  It’s in the 1938 supplement.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104