News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Anyone in Chicagoland area that could help me out?

Started by GoManGo1946, October 20, 2008, 08:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoManGo1946

I just picked up a 1946 cadillac. The engine is out and a few things are missing under the hood. I am missing the battery tray and what I think is the washer fluid bottle. I would love to see a complete intact under the hood Caddy with the 346. I think 1942-46-47 would all be the same??? I am most interested in the battery tray. Any fellow Caddy guys able to help out a newbie???

I thank you in advance.

1946 Cadillac 60 Special Fleetwood

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Adam,

Someone will soon post a photo, I'm sure.

If you haven't already, purchase a copy of Hemming's Motor News to familiarize yourself with the hundreds of vendors that you will likely be dealing with during your restoration.

The first thing you should buy is a shop manual. Used ones are often seen on ebay. Reprints can be purchased from Faxon and Crank N Hope.

I would also purchase an authenticity manual from the CLC website.

Congratulations on what looks like a pretty solid car.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

GoManGo1946

Thanks for the info. Have been looking. Alot of manuals on disc. I am gonna hold out for a book.

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Otto Skorzeny

Crank 'n Hope Publications
461 Sloan Alley
Blairsville, PA. 15717
724-459-8853

Faxon Auto Literature
http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/home_one.cfm
fward

GoManGo1946

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois

Otto Skorzeny

You may have already figured this out but the 1942 shop manual was used for 1946. A supplement was published for the 46, 47 cars. In your search for the shop manual, look for 1942.
fward

GoManGo1946

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois

GoManGo1946

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on October 20, 2008, 09:35:01 PM
You may have already figured this out but the 1942 shop manual was used for 1946. A supplement was published for the 46, 47 cars. In your search for the shop manual, look for 1942.

I thought so......thanks for confirming it.

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Dave Leger CLC #19256

McVeys used to carry the battery tray, last time I had one of their catalogs ( http://www.mcveys.com/ ).  You'll have to keep an eye out on Ebay for the correct square washer bottle.  They don't tend to come cheap.

Other useful suppliers I have used for my 47 are Coopers ( http://www.coopersvintage.com/ ) and All Cadillacs of the 40's and 50's  ( http://www.allcads.com/ ).  There are lots of other specialized places out thir (Olsons for gaskets, Terril machine, YnZ, etc.).  If you are having trouble finding anything this forum is a great place to get pointers. 

Dave
Dave Leger     1947 6207 Club Coupe

GoManGo1946

Boy this is a great form with a great bunch of people. Thanks for all the leads guys. I will be researching all of them!!!

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois

just4fun

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum. I am new here myself, but not new to Cadillacs or collecting. I have a good friend here that plays with a lot of '50's Cads and is very knowledgeable. Never know what he has for parts but worth a try. His email is moon7robe@sbcglobal.net Good guy and you won't be disappointed.

BTW, My buddy and I went partners and bought that '78 Eldorado you posted awhile back from Craigslist. I was already on it before you posted and it is the real McCoy, 1 of 6 known to have been made.

Take care and good luck
Rich Romanowski

Gaylord Goclan

Hi, I have a 47 convert 62 series. I'm not far from you zip 60148  cell 630-667-6083  Gaylord