News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1954 Series 62 Sedan Radio

Started by Greg Powers, February 24, 2009, 03:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Powers

I hope that there are a few radio experts out there. My radio has power and sound, but the tuning buttons, the signal seeking station bar, nor the foot operated control move the indicator on the radio dial. Since this radio does not have a tuning knob, how do you tune in a station? I have lifted the chrome cover and spaced the red preset tabs, but no activity on the dial. I purchased the car recently with only 29,000 original miles, so obviously it has done a bit of resting on a showroom floor for much of its life. I have no idea when the radio was last operational. All help appreciated.   
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Walter Youshock

Doug Houston from Michigan is the radio guru.  Hopefully he will weigh in on this.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

You say you have power and sound, is it tuned into one station? The signal seeking mechanism is a clockwork set up and it could just be siezed up from lack of use - WD40 may do the trick [I always try the easy option first !!].
Phil

Walter Youshock

Have you had the set out of the car and open it up?  Sounds like something is seized. 

When you hit the tuning bar, does it try to scan; can you hear a clicking from inside the set; does it blow the fuse or anything?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Doug Houston

Well, OK. It's hard to tell why the tuner isn't working. From what I read, nothing is starting it. Since there is reception, it means that the power supply in the set is working. That's necessary for the tuner to begin seeking. The absence of a manual tuning control makes this situation most annoying. Fortunately, a manual tuning control was added in the 1956 models. 

On the models, from 1953, with the preset push buttons (PB) behind the little door, any PB or the touch bar triggers the search tuner.

I sort of wonder if it has just seized (gotten stuck) from lack of use. That's a good possibility. But, don't just go squirting anything into the set aimlessly. For one thing, WD 40 is not a lubricant. The tuner mechanism is a clockwork device, and even if the tuner does seek, it's necessary, after all these years, to oil it, as you would a clock.  I use 3 in 1, but regular clock oil would be better.

When these sets were built, nobody ever had an inkling that they'd be around for over 50 years. The tuner clockwork was never expected to be in service so many years later. So, before any lubricatoin or service is attempted, best to open the set, carefully check to see if the mechanism will turn, taking care not to force anything.

The tuner is started by a lever that is pulled out of the way of the little paddle wheel (air governor). The mechanism will start to run if it isn't stuck. The mechanism is run by a tension spring, which is re-set when it reaches  high end of the band. A solenoid yanks it back to the low end of the dial. It beins to scan the dial until circuitry in the set, causes the start lever to drop into the air governor, and you're on the new station.

If the tuner doesn't trigger at all, the coil that pulls the trip lever from the air governor could be open-circuited. There are other factors to consider, but this is the first to come to mind.  It might be a good idea to have someone familiar with clocks ,examine the set. If nothing else, the tuner should be oiled.

We are fortunate that these early Delco tuners were designed as they were. The Motorola tuners in the 54-57 Ford Thunderbird sets have badly worn mechanical parts, and are impossible to get working properly, if at all. While I'm not in the service business, either way, I won't touch one of them.

38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

homeonprunehill

02-24-09
DOUG, How 'r you doing. I have a radio qustion for you. I have a "master" radio for my '38 LaS,but tghed modern day anntina won't fit, mine  has four holes. Not one! Got any words of wisdom for me. Thinks for the advise. Regards,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hi,
I didn't suggest WD40 as a lubricant - it frees up stuck mechanisms and cleans off old grease and oil. So if something in the mech. was stuck it should free it off and if dirty oil or grease is stopping electrical contact somewhere it should solve that.
Phil 

Greg Powers

Thanks for all the useful suggestions. I had re-installed the radio so I'll have to pulll her out again and take another look inside. I'll let you know how it works out.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Doug Houston

Quote from: homeonprunehill on February 24, 2009, 08:09:21 PM
02-24-09
DOUG, How 'r you doing. I have a radio qustion for you. I have a "master" radio for my '38 LaS,but tghed modern day anntina won't fit, mine  has four holes. Not one! Got any words of wisdom for me. Thinks for the advise. Regards,JIM

The antennas that were used for the early (Wells-Gardner supplied) Cadillac sets had 2 small pins, and two large ones. The plug would be inserted in the set one way for an under runningboard antenna, or the other for a vertical rod antenna. Of course, those antennas are no longer available, nor are the connectors. If you have the make plug, it's possible to have someone make an adapter, using an antenna receptacle (Motorola style) working into the old 4 pin plug. The thinner pins are the ones that feed the antenna circuit. The fat ones are dummies. If you make an adapter, cnnect the center pin on nthe Motorola plug to one of the thin pins, then try the plug whichever way gets the best reception.

In the cases where I have has the set on the bench, I removed the 4 pin receptacle, and installed a Motorola receptacle in its place.

38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929