News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Water Hoses - Cloth Wrapped Appearance

Started by Marc A. Thurston, February 26, 2009, 02:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc A. Thurston

I am looking for a vendor that sells black water hoses that the cloth wrapped appearance from the early 30's hoses.  I have tried Restoration Supply Company in Escondido California but they only carry 1 1/4 ID.  I also need to purchase 1 7/8 ID and 1 5/8 ID.

Thanks

Marc
Marc A. Thurston
1932 7-Passenger  Fleetwood V-8 Cadillac

Walter Youshock

If you can't find the hose, you can use black bowdrill cloth to wrap them.  Steele Rubber and Restoration Supply of Windber, PA carry the cloth.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Marc A. Thurston

Walter - Thanks - I will keep this in mind if I am unable to locate the hose.

Marc
Marc A. Thurston

Walter Youshock

I did this with the lower hose on my '57.  It still had the original on it with the CAD part number silk-screened on it.

The thing is it seems like the fabric was shellacked or varnished and I did not try to replicate that.

I wonder if a Packard parts dealer would have what you're looking for? 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Terry Wenger CLC #1800

Marc:

That cloth wrapped hose should be available at parts stores that carry Gates products, under the brand namr Gates Vulco. It comes in 3 ft. sections and is available in many sizes. The name and numbers that are printed on it can be easily removed with lacquer thinner. It works and looks fine on Cadillacs up unti the formed hoses came into use.

Terryl

Marc A. Thurston

thanks Terry - I will look for this hose type.
Marc A. Thurston