News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Convert 1985 Eldo to Antilock Brakes??

Started by Jeff Pendleton, January 03, 2005, 10:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Well, Bruce, I bit on it and I know where the dates are...I just didn't look at them. I was amazed in my ignorance at how many replies had been posted to this "new" topic since I last looked at the board about 12 hours ago!  It also occurred to me that the original poster wanted to know whether it would be easy or difficult to install an ABS system in his car, not a debate as to the effectiveness or lack thereof of ABS, but that's mostly what he got. I'll add something I heard on Motorweek one time in a segment on ABS that I believe is absolutely true:
ABS does not enable you to stop shorter than you would be able to in the same car under the same conditions without it, but it does allow you to control your car and steer around any obstacle while you are using maximum brake force which is something you cannot do with four wheels locked up and your car skidding and that could be the difference between having a wreck and avoiding one.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Rusty,

Exactly.

And one of the problems with ABS is that the Sales Person doesn't actually demonstrate to the buyer what the feature actually does, and what it feels like when it is actually working.

Many a crash has been caused by the driver not understanding why the pedal is pulsating madly underneath the foot, and releases the pedal, thinking something is wrong.

Personally, I am all for ABS, and that is the main reason I waited for so long before I purchased my '72 Eldo Convertible.   Simply because it had Trackmaster.   And, when I saw the "Y" piece in the Brake Vacuum line, I knew it was fitted, and the Seller didn't have a clue that it was fitted.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

David #19063

Quote from: RAMairGTO72 on March 13, 2009, 04:54:26 PM

I don't BS, if I don't know about something I dont halfass it, all you people did was "Naa I think they had one but, yeaa you dont need it" or "You need money and lots of i you have to weld a speed sensor ummm MONEY" or "It took approximately 1/2 to 1 1/2 car lengths longer" WTF! did you set up some measuring marks on the ground, over the slush? or you just eye ball it do both cars weigh the same, same tires, same width, length, was it the same slush depth, if it was slick then getting an accurate speed with wheels slipping you would never be able to get an accurate speed  , this guy wanted an answer and you busted his nuts about it, I guess every car maker is wrong, they should Email you guys for your real world opinions?

RAMairGTO72

Hey RAMairGTO72,

You are pretty mouthy for a guest on our forum. 

I don't see where you helped out Jeff with his question.

Just seems like you wanted to rant.

Please be better behaved in the future.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

76eldo

I have owned dozens of these car.  There is no way to convert an 84-85 Cadillac to ABS brakes.  You say we gave half-ass answers?  But you think some junk from Whitney would be anything to bolt onto a Cadillac?

No way. 

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv